Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sacagawea Dollar Coins - Time to Go!  

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  9:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add histman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I don't know about anybody else, but I can't wait for this coins series to stop. These coins, along with the Presidential dollar coins, tone way too fast unless you have them in capsules. I was glad the presidents stopped and won't miss the Sacagawea coins when they go away. I collect them now because I have the series, but argh!
Learn More...
United States
12935 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Presidential dollar series I never really liked either, but I don't mind the SAC$/NA$ series. They have something historic on the reverse. I wonder what the mint will put in their place
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7408 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What I understand is that the Presidential dollar run was open ended, but it reached an impasse at Bush #1 and can only continue two years after his death.

Even if they waited for that scenario, then you have to wait for Clinton...

They're gonna have to come up with something else if they want to keep making dollar coins.

Bad puns make me [sic].

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10484 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What I understand is that the Presidential dollar run was open ended, but it reached an impasse at Bush #1 and can only continue two years after his death.

Even if they waited for that scenario, then you have to wait for Clinton...

I'm almost positive it's done. I'm 99 percent sure an act of Congress would have to happen to add any of them to it at this point even after the two year period.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
964 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

They skipped Carter completely because he's still alive.

Edit to add: I love this series but I do wonder how much longer they can keep being interesting. The main reason to stop would be when they finally decide to stop making bills and have a legitimate reason for getting people to switch to coins (like they should have done 18 years ago), but there are so many in vaults that even that may not bring them all back into circulation fast enough.
Working on: Franklin halves (now complete!), Peace dollars (three to go), US type (Bust era), and just started Chinese pandas.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Edited by Alpha2814
03/13/2018 01:00 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3018 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Go read the law. Once they reached a president who had not been dead for two years it's done. The law explicitly says it would require an act of congress to resume.
-----Burton
43+ year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Owned by four cats and a wife of 33 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8273 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMHO ,I personally dislike all modern Dollar coins . so I would like for all of them to be discontinued . Lets face it they are not being used in everyday commerce . 99% of them are for collectors only .
Sorry, just not a fan .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Learn More...
United States
12935 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  09:30 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would not mind an Eisenhower Golden Dollar in regular production, but probably bringing back the original SAC$ would be a good compromise.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Valued Member
United States
406 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ljenkins990 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think we should do something similar to Canada's $1 and $2 coins. I have a few of each that I picked up in Victoria last summer, and I think they seem more durable in terms of unattractive toning than the NA dollar.

Of course this would go hand-in-hand with discontinuing the dollar bill. If Canada can do it successfully, we can too.
Learn More...
United States
58086 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Go read the law. Once they reached a president who had not been dead for two years it's done. The law explicitly says it would require an act of congress to resume.
Agreed. If any of the living presidents were to pass away, it would take an act of Congress to issue their dollar coin.

As for the Sacagawea, it is here to stay. It is the one dollar federal reserve note that needs to go bye-bye.

Quote:
I would not mind an Eisenhower Golden Dollar in regular production...
Pillar of the Community
United States
603 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although I do collect (and buy) all three Sacagawea coins each year, it would be no loss to me if they were discontinued. As mentioned earlier, collectors are about the only people who care at all about having ANY dollar coin.

If the paper dollar ever gets discontinued then there MIGHT finally be a reasonable desire for any coins larger than a quarter. The US has never been interested in dollar coins, which include Sac's, Prez, Suzy's, Ike's, Peace, and Morgan dollars. For any coins made before 1880 I have no personal knowledge of, so I'd have to ask my father.
Learn More...
United States
58086 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Every other nation has proved that if you want the coin to circulate, the paper equivalent needs to cease existing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
655 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ron6788 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What kind of toning are you getting, histman? Can you upload a pic? Reason I ask is because I would think toning- generally speaking- would be a good thing.

The Sacagawea dollar, with the Indian princess on the obverse, and the reverse changing, is the only dollar coin in production now. Yes, it's only made for collectors, as the Presidential dollars also were only struck for collectors after 2011. No telling when or if production will stop.

Since actively reading this forum, I've become very interested in buying rolls from the bank for spending purposes. Seems like an ideal coin to me for this. Maybe, I'll change my tune after doing it for a while, don't know yet.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8273 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Every other nation has proved that if you want the coin to circulate, the paper equivalent needs to cease existing.

Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
United States
4538 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dollar coins died with me when the edge lettering appeared. The coins tone very uglyish. Why mint billions of these monstrosities for just for collectors when the general public wants nothing to do with them? And the question remains, what is to happen with the billions of these coins sitting in government vaults?
*Complete Canada 50 cent set 1953-present

*Complete Canada Toonie ($2) set 1996-present

*And just a mix of everything else!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1541 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a collector that has almost every variety issued to date, I don't think I would be upset if this series ended.

Remember, what the Dormouse said.
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05