Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question about this Kennedy half Dollar and whether its a SMS type coin  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
19 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  11:25 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dreadnoughtcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have this 1964 KHD and wasnt sure ifitsog the SMS variety. Its has a strong strike and salmon colored toning on the back. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Thanks

United States
19 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dreadnoughtcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also wanted to add its has a satin finish, unlike my other half dollars, which are just unremarkable. This coins finish is unlike all of my other half dollars.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4324 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to be a normal half dollar.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dreadnoughtcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! Ive just never seen this type of toning before on any of my silver half's. I figured Id post just to see, as finding a Special Strike is very unlikely. I have lots of coins, new and old, and have just recently gotten into this hobby. I find it very interesting.

Cheers!
Pillar of the Community
United States
607 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mayflower2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1965-1969 halves were 40% silver. Toning happens on silver coins for different reasons. Usually because they were exposed to something in the air. Sometimes they turn dark, sometimes they make really cool rainbow effects. There is a lot of debate among collectors about toning. Some think it's damage, while others really like the toned silver coins, and get them graded and sealed to preserve it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
607 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mayflower2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great question by the way, and thanks for accompanying it with pictures. That is very important to help others see what you are referencing.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14062 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2018  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you didn't buy it from a numismatic auction house for thousands of dollars,the answer is no.
Gary Schmidt
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2018  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dreadnoughtcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just curious about the auction house response. Ive found wheat cents and a couple silver coins in change that are worth much more than their face value. Ive even found a double die dime from the supermarket that's worth about $100.

Not much but one doesn't have to buy from an auction house for a coin to be worth anything.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.49 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05