Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How do you organize your collection? (a beginning collector question)  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
80 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  12:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bigjohn603 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just seeking the best solution to my problem. If anyone has examples I hope to find my Not so perfect solution..lol
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15185 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What do collect and how do you store them now? 2x2's, binders, 9, 12, 20 pocket pages, raw or encapsulated?

Give us a few details as well as a price range or budget you might want.
Valued Member
United States
179 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How you organize the collection may vary a bit depending on whether you want to collect only U.S. coins, world, or ancient/medieval. In my opinion organization should be first by country or kingdom, then by either ruler or denomination. It can be chronological, if there is a long time period with many rulers or denominations (in other words, coins simply in order of date, regardless of denomination). Within a particular denomination coins are normally ordered by date and, within date, by mint mark. Hope this helps a little.

Also you'll need to decide how to store each coin. Cardboard/mylar 2x2" holders stapled then placed in 20-pocket plastic pages in 3-ring binders provide good inexpensive protection, visibility, and room to write attributions on the holders. But it's also possible to store the 2x2" holders in long boxes, and it's also possible to use clear flips, with the coin in one side and a 2x2" piece of heavy white paper with the attribution on the other side. If you use flips be sure to use archival quality because cheap ones will leave PVC residue on coins over time.
You can also put coins in hard plastic covers with top and bottom pieces.
In any case happy collecting to you!
Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bigjohn603 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What do collect and how do you store them now? 2x2's, binders, 9, 12, 20 pocket pages, raw or encapsulated?

right now I have a coin hoard.
some 2x2s and lots of ziplock bags
Pillar of the Community
United States
3765 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What do you collect? US coins, world coins, tokens?
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2018  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bigjohn603 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What do you collect? US coins, world coins, tokens?
I have US and world coins. I also have some currency US and world.
Learn More...
Australia
12833 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2018  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me, personally, a disorganized collection is an unenjoyable collection. I have over 12,000 coins; if I didn't have a good organization and storage system, I'd never be able to find any one specific coin if I needed or wanted to, and that would frustrate me incredibly.

I am a fairly generic collector; I collect all coins, foreign and local, ancient through to modern. So, my sorting goes like this.

Most of my collection - what I consider my "main collection" - lives either in 2x2 cardboard holders, or those 2x2-sized plastic flips, which I use for coins that are either too oddly-shaped to fit into a 2x2, or are so badly worn that you couldn't see the coin properly if you sealed it up into a 2x2. The 2x2s are housed in album pages. The pages I buy in bulk are designed for old 2x2 photographic slides; they're perfect for holding 2x2s as they never "stick" like some cheap designed-for-coins pages can tend to do. The pages then go into albums; the albums I use are also designed for photographic slides, with snap-lock covers.

Ancient coins (600 BC to 500 AD) go in one album (well, there's two of those now), mediaeval coins (500-1450) go in one album, and all the modern coins go in albums (about 19 of them), alphabetized by country. I'm from Australia, and my Australian coins in 2x2s go in with the rest of the world coins, under "A". I have two more albums for tokens, and one for medals.

For countries that have long date-mintmark series which I have hundreds of coins for, such as Australia, the USA and Germany, they don't all go in 2x2s - that would take up way too much album space. Many of these coins end up in "ordinary" plastic-page coin albums, sorted by continent.

Coins that are too big to comfortably fit into the largest 2x2 size I put in those larger maxi-crown-sized 2˝x2˝, and put in album pages that fit these at the back of each of the albums. There aren't that many of these; my collecting creed is "if it doesn't fit in a 2x2, I don't really want it".

My banknotes go into albums, kind of disorganied as this isn't my main collecting focus (they don't fit in 2x2s, after all); the more valuable notes get put into "Hagner" brand note pages.

Finally, the "odd things", such as mint sets still in packaging, or my one and only slabbed coin, get tossed into bags and boxes and stored however they can.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
United States
289 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2018  02:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My method is pretty similar to Sap's. I have most of my coins in 2x2s. But I have a plastic box for those coins too big or slabbed or whatever that don't fit in the flips. I have everything by country, denomination, year. If all those match, then by KM#. (Except for the weird one in the box.)
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14350 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2018  02:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect the same broad range of coins that Sap does.
The way my collection is arranged, has turned out the same way as his, for exactly the same reasons.
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2018  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add qaman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like to use 2x2 I didn't start out very organized and it is taking for ever to get caught up. Now I don't buy unless I put them away. I put my coins into 2 x 2 's than sheets that fit into 3 ring binders.
Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bigjohn603 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you all for your input... this is very helpful
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16557 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me it's simple. I take all my coins and dump them into a large box and forget them.
Kidding of course. My method is actually simple. I use all Albums for all coins. For some I put them in 2x2 flips and then into those 20 slot plastic pages and then into a 3 ringed binder. That too is sort of an Album. I use all brands of Albums due to getting them cheap or free. And since no one sees them, who cares that they don't all match in color or sizes. Albums are arranged by denomination from smallest to largest.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2278 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2018  05:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I store all mine in 2x2s, which are then stored in cut-down A4 paper boxes. Stored alfabetically for most of the world coins, but larger countries have their own box or boxes. You can store 500 to 600 coins in each.

A4 box cut down to about 60mm.

The extra from the side makes dividers.

Load them up with 2x2s.

Stored on a shelf in a cupboard.

Over 12,000 coins stored on one shelf. :)
Best of all, no cost except the 2x2s which cost
a fair bit down under, but you guys get them cheap enough.

Steve :)
View my Coins, Banknotes & Tokens (NOW WITH OVER 12,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Edited by triggersmob
03/21/2018 05:27 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1874 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2018  08:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use a method similar to that of Sap and Sel, but I do have some "special collections" like one per country, or some country type sets, that have their own binders. Since the main collection is in 2x2 by country, denomination and date, sometimes I change my mind and can easily "fold" the special collections into the main one.

I have far too many low value coins to consider hard cases or any bulkier system.

The few areas I collect by date also have their own binders.

I have made wooden boxes for storing a lot of the 2x2s.
Learn More...
United States
57047 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2018  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I store all mine in 2x2s, which are then stored in cut-down A4 paper boxes. Stored alfabetically for most of the world coins, but larger countries have their own box or boxes. You can store 500 to 600 coins in each.
Looks great!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3765 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2018  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I store most of my coins in 2 x 2s. The 2 x 2s go into boxes that have dividers in them, which I then store in a cabinet, similar to triggersmob. The rest of the coins go into albums.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.08 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05