Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Early Us Coppers At An Estate Sale

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

17 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2018  9:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Robby Bee to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I came across this lot at an estate sale. There were 20 - 21 coins, mostly what there appeared to be civil war tokens. However, there was what looked like a 1793 wreath large cent AG-G flat rubbed but with a design, date and with brighter orange toning, a 1796 Half Cent ~fine (nice), a fair flowing hair large cent with no date, and a coronet large cent. Maybe there was another Half Cent in there, I'm not sure. The seller tried to make me negotiate against myself so I walked - wouldn't give me an asking price and kept pumping me for info.

Coppers aren't my thing so I ask the group - Are they real? I'm not sure with all the fakes out there. Also, what are the other coins? None were colonials or anything.

What do you think? And what would you offer for the lot?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8228 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2018  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would be highly suspicious of the 1793 and 1796 in particular as they are way out of place with the other coins. The rest appears to be an odd mishmash of Civil War tokens, Conder tokens, British copper issues, and hard times tokens. The 1793 and 1796 stick out like sore thumbs in this group because almost all of the other pieces are extremely low value items. Also, the no-date piece is a Draped Bust, not a Flowing Hair.

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Edited by paralyse
03/16/2018 9:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7088 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2018  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea, if you aren't sure of what you're buying, it's best to pass, unless they're giving it away.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13080 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2018  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that the '93 and '96 seem out of place. Perhaps they are real, or perhaps the seller had read this American Heritage article from 1968:

http://www.americanheritage.com/con...lt-gold-mine
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2018  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How much was he asking for them? I agree that it looks suspicious but we've had a few members find some coins in similar lots over the last year that made me fall out of my chair. So anything is possible.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8203 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2018  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chances are you weren't the first one to come along. He's fishing for the best price offered. Somebody else already offered too much.
Drives me nuts when somebody won't give you a price and asks for an offer.
When that happens, I just point out how worn bent up and corroded the lot is if I'm being used for a free appraisal.
I wouldn't mention the large and Half Cents, wouldn't even pick them up.
They may be real and they may be fakes.
A closer look would be necessary. I wouldn't show any interest because that would raise the price some more.
There are about 4 or 5 easily marketable Hard Times Tokens there by what one side shows. This isn't a coin shop sale. Tell him that there are plenty of other coins out there for sale and we aren't taping for next seasons American Picker's show.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
17 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2018  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Robby Bee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Funny - he said to me "This is American Pickers and you are the expert."

I played it exactly like TNG and Mike F did - thumbed through it, said "there are a lot of fakes out there" and "most of these are tokens" and made two low ball offers.

I wasn't going to get burned by someone watching too much junking shows who found some old fakes and passed them off as real. I did ask myself, "he could have gone down to a local coin shop less than 1 mile away to check them out before going down the road with me. Why am I the recipient of such generosity if they're real?"
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10085 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2018  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you made the right decision in walking on that lot. I also hate it when the seller will not give some sort of asking price to work with.

I don't know enough about those to have been able to come up with a reasonable offer, but I could have lowballed the heck out of it.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Valued Member
United States
373 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2018  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ProfLiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1796 Half Cent does not look right at all.
Valued Member
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2018  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sheldon Overton Baby to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1793 and 1796 are both 100% fakes for sure.
17 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2018  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Robby Bee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really - What are the characteristics that set it off? My gut told me to stay away and you verified that. Just saved me at least $100 and a lot of second guessing!

Thanks.
17 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2018  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Robby Bee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I conferred with an expert on US coppers and from the pictures he said the 1793 large cent was probably an electrotype and the 1796 Half Cent was probably fake since it had the 1794 head - which it shouldn't; a 1796 should have a 1795 head.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13080 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2018  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad to see that you have followed up with us!
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8203 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2018  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I musta been cranky that night I posted on 3/16. Tonight I probably would think that, but probably not post it. LOL
Anyway, I am thinking about the tray in the picture tonight. I think the guy is probably a collector, having a coin tray like that to display them and these are his culls, castaways or problem coins.
Tonight I would have asked him to show me some of his good coins, and then walked away.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10085 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2018  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think the guy is probably a collector, having a coin tray like that to display them and these are his culls, castaways or problem coins.

You're probably right. I questioned the tray, as well. There were just too many negatives, or red flags, to the situation to make a deal.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15807 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2018  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
from the pictures he said the 1793 large cent was probably an electrotype

A good contemporary electrotype can be worth $300 or so.
Gary Schmidt
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05