Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dull coins after acetone bath  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Belgium
52 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2018  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jagoedo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the suggestions. I'll try a distilled water rinse this week. Not much of a gamebreaker if its corrosion since I didn't pay much for the lot but nevertheless...
Edited by jagoedo
03/19/2018 02:00 am
Learn More...
Canada
7785 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2018  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have examples of Canadian small cent George VI specimen strikes, in PCGS holders (no less) and within 5 seconds of looking at the coin, I knew it was acetone soaked. Specimen strikes are different animals though, the surfaces of those fields are like mirrors (equivalent to early US proof strikes of 1-cent coins)... the effect on the mirror fields leaves a "gasoline on water" appearance to the coin's mirror surfaces, and halos around the devices.

I have a few examples in my collection, including a 1950 specimen strike that became a "sacrificial lamb". I'll try to remember and post a few photos later this week.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Belgium
52 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2018  05:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jagoedo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A trick that some people would do when selling copper with some minor residue on it is rub a small amount of olive oil on the coins. This soaks into the residue and makes it dark while making the surfaces glossy. Of course an acetone bath removes the oil and then the residue stands out.

How do TPG's react to this kind of "manipulation"?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1359 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2018  10:17 am  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
^ If they detect it, they will return it as non-gradable, as it could deteriorate further in the slab. I got taken this way once 20 years ago with a nice, glossy large cent that a quick acetone dip revealed hidden green in the recesses.
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Learn More...
United States
55918 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2018  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After soaking in acetone, did you give the a rinse with fresh acetone? If not, whatever the acetone removed will just redeposit on the coin after it evaporates.
Valued Member
Belgium
52 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2018  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jagoedo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
After soaking in acetone, did you give the a rinse with fresh acetone? If not, whatever the acetone removed will just redeposit on the coin after it evaporates.

Of course. I'll post an update later this week.
Learn More...
United States
55918 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2018  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the clarification.

I really did not want to assume, but did feel a need to point this out to those who may not realize the importance.
Valued Member
Belgium
52 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  04:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jagoedo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I couldn't really get rid of the dullness but it became much less visible after a few additional baths which is good. It's not perfect but it means the hunt for te perfect example is still on :)

Thanks for the wonderfull insights and tips.

Really love this community!
Learn More...
United States
55918 Posts
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05