Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1970 Lincoln memorial cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
58 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  3:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add themaineway to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
note no displacement of metal on either side of cut? and also on the rev last image is of rev top left of memorial ?

Edited by themaineway
03/20/2018 5:58 pm
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ItsDaBunnyYT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dont think that someone scratched that penny with a knife, so it might be a hairline, but it would seem too thick. Something Def got caught in between the die and the coin, because if it was a scratch, at the very bottom you would start to see zinc. That cut must be 1/3 of the penny, so it was not post mint damage. For more information, go to a local error expert. Hope this helps!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1314 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1970 cents aren't made of zinc. It's just damage to the coin.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add themaineway to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your reply.
may I ask if possible for a little more details as to why just "damage" because "to me", no metal has been displaced nor does the design show distortion for such a deep "wound" and the rev "to me" shows no signs of being hit and the design is complete ?
Why I ask for a little more reason as to why just "damage" is it looks like what was posted yesterday on a coin as a incomplete punch (yes I understand that was a curved cut) BUT when I read more about this, there seems to be other machines that may have done this... "shears, saw, or guillotine that trims the ends of the coin metal strip or the splitter that divides the coil of coin metal into narrower strips" (err-ref) that I could see doing this before the strike as some of the "wound" seems to be closed together without distorting the designs image around it from the metal movement of the strike?
what would coins with these errors look like? and what would be different in comparison to this one? are there any pictures of these errors ?
Thank you -just trying to expand my knowledge-
Pillar of the Community
United States
939 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coppergold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Damage but nice pictures
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
31851 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PSD. How can you tell? If this were an partial cut blank/planchet error, You would expect to see it the same on both sides. Its not. Just one side is affected. Note where the cut reaches the rims of the coin? Note how it raises the fields and rim areas, opening the area up more on the rim. That is how damage will look.

On a partial cut planchet, you will see the same size of mark on the fields, devices, rims and but areas. The metal does not show a wave of material as the die restricts the fields and devices. Not the case on a damaged coin. The wave will show because of the dies are not there to prevent the flow/wave from happening.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2018  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FrankenCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree post stamping damage:

Quote:
note no displacement of metal on either side of cut? and also on the rev last image is of rev top left of memorial ?

Notice that the Rims are flared up on each side of the Rim Cut pushing material away from the impression of the cut, compare below.

Thanks for sharing.
Edited by FrankenCoin
04/07/2018 5:26 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05