Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Older Notgeld Collection Acquired

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 166 / Views: 11,698Next Topic
Page: of 12
Pillar of the Community
United States
4254 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2020  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Staying with the theme of witches that myth asserts inhabit the Harz, here's two more notes, both issued by Wernigerode.

Colligo ergo sum
Learn More...
United States
94325 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2020  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Staying with the theme of witches that myth asserts inhabit the Harz, here's two more notes, both issued by Wernigerode.
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4254 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2020  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a favorite duo of mine, issued by Heessen (Heeßen) promoting the restorative benefits of visiting Voigt's Kur-u. Badehaus located there.

Even today Heessen has a population of not even 1,500 and appears to be a lovely little village.

See: https://www.heessen-schaumburg.info/

Colligo ergo sum
Learn More...
United States
94325 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4254 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Returning to the theme of supernatural denizens of the Harz, here's a note issued by Ilsenburg. On the front are broom riding witches plus some sort of horned demon. The other side depicts what I take to be the wild man and a crowned goddess.

For an article on this general topic, see: mennta.hi.is/starfsfolk/salvor/fyrstimai/nornir-harz-fjollin.htm

Colligo ergo sum
Learn More...
United States
94325 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4254 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2020  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's an attractive (and I'm told somewhat scarce) piece of kriegsnotgeld issued by Bielefeld, authorized just days before the armistice.

Colligo ergo sum
Learn More...
United States
94325 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
679 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2020  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi @Lucky Cuss - how are you doing? Yes, this is a lovely looking note. I can tell you what it catalogues as if you want.....?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4254 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2020  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I can tell you what it catalogues as if you want.....?

Sure. While I doubt it's really the rare high dollar item, I suppose it might qualify as an example of Kleingeldscheine. Despite its aesthetic appeal, and my uncertainty as to whether it was one of a set, I think it nevertheless stands apart from the later Serienscheine types produced specifically to satisfy collector demand. But I am open to correction on this point.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
679 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2020  05:24 am  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Lucky Cuss - it catalogues as 'Geiger-046.09c' with a catalogue price of 4 (old Dm) so now that would be about 2 dollars. It is quite a common piece. It classifies as a Grossgeld 1918 issue. (Kleingeldscheine are notes under 1m in face value).
It is from a set that also has a 5m & a 10m note. They don't look particularly similar though. Hope that helps...
Pillar of the Community
United States
4254 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2020  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It classifies as a Grossgeld 1918 issue. (Kleingeldscheine are notes under 1m in face value).

I don't know why (perhaps just not used to seeing that high a denomination for this genre in general), but my brain was saying "20 pfennig" when it clearly is a 20 mark note.

I paid a small multiple of that 2 dollar quote, but am still happy with the acquisition.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United States
4254 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A set issued by the village of Ströbeck, long known for being a center for the playing of chess. I've been meaning to acquire these six notes for some time on account of their allegorical representation of world politics from the viewpoint of post-WWI Germany.

I believe the personage prominently depicted on one of the notes is supposed to be British Prime Minister David Lloyd George, who is described as "The World Chess Master".

On another note, politics is not the topic with the patchwork of fields being described as "A Chessboard of Nature".

Colligo ergo sum
Learn More...
United States
94325 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4254 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2021  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

My latest addition.

Colligo ergo sum
Page: of 12 Previous TopicReplies: 166 / Views: 11,698Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05