Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1872 H Newfoundland 20 Cents Double Roman 1

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
142 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2018  09:10 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Canadian coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have come across a couple examples of this doubling in my search to identify. Question: Is this a common variety? Reference to the Roman 1 and the Arabic 1 is in my latest copy of Coins of Canada. There is no reference to the Double Roman 1 for this date though?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6999 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2018  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to Charlton and checking on eBay,
the Roman 1 was used from 1865 to 1880.
The Arabic 1 was used from 1881 to 1900.
Don't argue with an idiot, he will beat you with experience.
Valued Member
Canada
313 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2018  10:57 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm... It doesn't look doubled to me. I see something there but I'm not sure what it is. Maybe someone else will have better insight.
Valued Member
Canada
324 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2018  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me it looks like it has been repunched. The foot appears to have a shorter doubled image above it. I suggest it has been repunched with a smaller punch. Try measuring the i's in Victoria to see if maybe that punch was used instead of the large I (like a micro-D 1881H Cdn. cent). After all, the 1 in the date is actually a capital i.
Edited by TerryT
03/26/2018 4:36 pm
Valued Member
Canada
142 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2018  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadian coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your thoughts. I may not have the right wording for it? Repunched and doubled are different in which way? Does doubled mean the same punch twice and repunched, with something different? I misread my Coins and Canada. I thought it said 1865 and 1880. There is reference to it then. I will further investigate the cause of what appears to be repunched? Mistakingly I've called it doubled. The Number 1, Roman or Arabic appears thicker than the examples I've looked at online.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1390 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2018  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Coins of Canada" - what's that?

"Is this a common variety?" - Yes...

If you want to have more fun...find out how many of these coins have a "centered H" on the obverse, and how many have a "Right Shifted H" on the obverse. The H is the mintmark of 1872H...

Find out which is the scarcer variety.

Yours is the "Right Shifted H"

Also..there is a scarcer variety where the 1 in 1872 looks like a "Z"

Edited by canadian-varieties
03/27/2018 12:00 am
Valued Member
Canada
142 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2018  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadian coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I should give full reference so that people know which reference I am using. 35th edition Coins of Canada By: J.A. Haxby and R.C. Willey. It references the Roman "I". I think the collection I acquired is full of different varieties. With no breakdown of what they are. It's like a treasure hunt. I've found many errors and anomalies. Quite fun. I am using this reference book to identify alot of them. Thanks for the tip on the "H". For some coins I know there is something there but I just can't identify it. The collection belonged to someone who worked in a bank for forty years. They may have come across something that looked different and traded it ( I'm not sure if that's allowed) no definitive evidence of this happening.
Valued Member
United States
252 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2018  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JHax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In deciding which varieties are major enough to warrant inclusion in a standard catalog, one must remember that there are many Victorian varieties involving repunching of letters or digits. Because of a shortage of space, most must be left for inclusion in specialized variety or die catalogs. Your piece, in my opinion, is one of those. Of course, the question of what should or should not be listed in a standard catalog is a topic that can stir up heated debate. Wouldn't it be nice if there were online versions of the standard catalogs, where varieties could be given more extensive coverage and prices could be updated more often than once a year?

Anyway, your variety is certainly an interesting one and thanks for taking the trouble to share it with us!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05