Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is coin roll hunting really a waste of time.

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Learn More...
United States
60341 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2018  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Of course! And, unlike other forms of social media, trolls aren't allowed to run rampant on here.
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2018  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Check Johnathan55's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Johnathan55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to a do a lot of coin roll hunting with rolls of pennies looking for errors, Dreams of finding rarities like the legendary 1969 DDO danced across my head, but alas, no luck. I searched maybe 100 rolls of pennies and the biggest prize I found was a 2005 cent with a DDR that was worth about $20.

If you're finding treasures and having fun, by all means keep going, but for me I switched over to buying and digging through random foreign coin lots. It's the same fun of digging through common coins and finding rarities, with a higher success rate since foreign coins are usually overlooked. (It's also lot less eyestrain too, now that I'm not squinting to see if that "L" in "LIBERTY" is really doubled or not!)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1521 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2018  07:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aristarchus123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I searched maybe 100 rolls of pennies

That might be considered by some to be a small sample size from which to draw conclusions.
Valued Member
United States
293 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2018  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ty88ty2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That might be considered by some to be a small sample size from which to draw conclusions.

I agree to that... I do anywhere from 50-200 rolls a week!
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add qaman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if your looking to get rich - no but if you enjoy it and it reduces your blood pressure go for it!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1960 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Check John77's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I have to do stuff like get the car tuned up or tires changed, I like to bring some of my rolls along with me so I can pass the time... this morning, I brought 10 rolls of dimes and 20 rolls of nickels with me as I got an oil change... While I waited, I managed to get all of the dimes searched (found 3 2009-Ds) and 16 of the nickel rolls (found 4 pre-60s and 2 2009-Ds)... later in the day, I had a doctor's appointment and I finished the nickels as I waited for him... A few months ago when I got two new tires, I brought a box of nickels with me. Only got 1/4 of the way through it, but found a 1938-D Buffalo!
CRH Nickeloholic. On the way to 1,000,000 nickels searched in two years! Already have found TWO complete Jefferson sets over that time!
Edited by John77
05/15/2018 9:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1960 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Check John77's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I used to a do a lot of coin roll hunting with rolls of pennies looking for errors, Dreams of finding rarities like the legendary 1969 DDO danced across my head, but alas, no luck. I searched maybe 100 rolls of pennies and the biggest prize I found was a 2005 cent with a DDR that was worth about $20.

5,000 coins is far too few to really make a fair judgment. In reality, you really have to develop a "method to your own madness" as I like to call it. Where I live, I've had far better success with customer wrapped rolls in general, but particularly with Dimes and Cents. So I tend to go to the banks that have CWR of those two denominations and get those there. As for nickels, I've had some great finds both in machine wrapped and customer wrapped rolls, so I get them pretty much every time I visit a bank branch.

As you can see by my footer message, I've searched a lot of coins - especially nickels! I've found lots of keepers. An XF 1883 No Cents V, an AU 1928-S Buffalo, an AU 1939-D Jefferson (from a two box hoard which had 207 pre-1960s), two 1950-D Jeffersons, a hoard of 65 pre-60 coins which included 25 semi-keys (1949-S, 1950, 1951-S), a hoard of nearly 120 Buffalos, two rolls of War Nickels, and a hoard which included 4 V nickels, 30 Buffalos, and three Proofs. And that's just for starters.

If you keep on searching, you're bound to find something great sooner or later!

CRH Nickeloholic. On the way to 1,000,000 nickels searched in two years! Already have found TWO complete Jefferson sets over that time!
Edited by John77
05/15/2018 9:33 pm
Valued Member
United States
423 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add crazyforATB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
why is it always about silver? not everyone hunts for it. I get more excited finding a wheat than a silver coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
3455 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  06:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My teenage son has worked the till at Taco Bell since September. In that time, he has found:

18 wheats
4 silver rosies
2 buffalos, one dated, one not.

Hes not even a coin collector, turns them all over to dad.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...reluctantly

Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since 72
Pillar of the Community
United States
1960 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  10:41 am  Show Profile   Check John77's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

My teenage son has worked the till at Taco Bell since September. In that time, he has found:

18 wheats
4 silver rosies
2 buffalos, one dated, one not.

Hes not even a coin collector, turns them all over to dad.

Memories... I completed my first Jefferson nickel set out of circulation all from CRH while a Taco Bell cashier 30+ years ago!
Learn More...
United States
60341 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
why is it always about silver? not everyone hunts for it. I get more excited finding a wheat than a silver coin
Do not forget the proofs, too.
Valued Member
United States
293 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ty88ty2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Silver means money. Money is a driving factor in many mindsets. That is likely why it is 'always about silver'. While that is not me personally(I like my wheaties too!), it is many.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9959 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Saw a post earlier, pointed to the year 2014. I must wholly agree. I began searching in 2012, small quantities at first until I could establish a dump bank and limit of monthly search quantities. That happened early 2014, my success was, well, inspiring, finding an IH cent, Barber dime, many wheats and war nickels, a good amount of buffalos and a handful of silver dimes. Since 2015/2016 it has become bleaker and skimpier on any good finds as before. NO coins like the IH, Barber or even silver has shown up. Consistent tho in a box of nickels will usually be, 1-2009D, 1-war nick, 7-15 pre-1959's. With the introduction of 15 BILLION coins per year of any given denomination and date PLUS the seeming increased interest in CRH in my Fed Distribution area, I'm ready to change my avatar to "Slimpickins"(not "Limpchickens" gutter breath!)
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there is a picture with a quote next to it"
Abraham Lincoln
Edited by Crazyb0
05/16/2018 12:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3455 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ha ha CBO good post!
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...reluctantly

Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since 72
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.93 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05