Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Saving For Key Want List Vs Buying Lower Grade

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
434 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2018  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txgolfer56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Acloco!
Actively collecting US Type coins and Morgans. Thinking about LWC upgrades.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4205 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2018  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck finding the right coins at the right price
and keep us posted on your progress!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11623 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2018  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ OP > This is exactly what I'm up against right now . I'm at the point where all I need is the keys to complete some of my U.S. sets . The problem is my coin budget , as I take pride in putting together nice no problem mid to high grade circulated raw coins . I am not a hole filler kind of guy nor will I put an AG-03 coin next to a VF-35 . My other problem is I'm too antszy and don't like waiting months to accumulate enough money to buy those bad boys that I need .
Help Please !
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Valued Member
240 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2018  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmwilson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me it depends on the coin. I really like halves from the early 1800s in XF when the have the right amount of contrast between the highly worn regions (higher) and less worn regions (lower).
Valued Member
United States
434 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2018  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txgolfer56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I definitely like XF and better. So, key in VF Or F just dont have the eye appeal. Argh!
Actively collecting US Type coins and Morgans. Thinking about LWC upgrades.
Valued Member
United States
97 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2018  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vermillion Flycatche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on the series and strike characteristics of the key date. There are series where I'm not too picky about the XF or AU distinction in the keys and will go for the best coin at a reasonable price. Buff nickels are one right now- the 26 S has a huge jump in price from Xf to AU and I'm going for an upper end xf. In the Standing Libs with the horrible strike characteristics of the 27s I would go for a quality XF because the wear would help distract from some of the strike blemishes that all of those coins have (weak shield for instance).

In Lincoln WC I went exclusively for AU since I like strong details on the face and ear, and little wear on the wheat stalks.

It's actuallly the semi-keys that have stymied me on the buffs and Lincolns. For instance a well-struck, reasonably priced 26 S Lincoln took over a year to find and I'm at 1.25 years and counting searching for a decently struck 27 S Buff that is not priced at an outrageous premium. For the latter either my standards or my wallet need to change ...perhaps......

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05