Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Planchet striations? Or Something Else? Attribute of a '79 S VAM, maybe?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2018  02:47 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Shenandoah1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is an 1879 S Morgan dollar, DMPL obverse with very deep mirrors, white cameo, deep contrast ... and these lines across one half or so of the obverse, most notably through the hair. Parallel and uniform, they look somewhat like planchet striations but I can't be sure. Can someone help with this? And do you know if there's a '79 S VAM with these as an attribute? I looked through the VAM page and nothing came up that I saw but I could have missed something.
Thank you!

P.S. I've heard conflicting information about planchet striations and proofs -- some say they are most common proofs; others say that's not true at all. If it is, I'd be tempted to think this might be a branch mint proof ... even if, realistically, the chances of that are next to zero. Especially with all the bag marks and other chatter. Never seen a proof coin quite this beat up. But I can dream, though, right? Anyway, thanks for any insight anyone can provide.

Edited by Shenandoah1
04/11/2018 02:48 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
8477 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2018  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What you see are planchet striations on a nice early die state business strike.
Member SSDC
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2018  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shenandoah1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome, thank you, Dave.
Valued Member
United States
246 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add peaece13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are planchet striations the same thing as “roller marks”
I recently sold the coin in this listing and had always heard and referred to these as roller marks.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?...ulk%2Fitm%2F401507097346
Pillar of the Community
United States
8477 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are the same thing.
Member SSDC
Valued Member
United States
246 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2018  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add peaece13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the clarification dave
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05