Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone have experience using US-Can border mail services for coins?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
260 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  3:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KHatt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Buying coins from the US can be a pain sometimes, with the higher shipping costs, especially with eBay's Global Shipping Program, and with duty and customs charges.

I go to the US every couple months and I was thinking about using a mail box service at the border and then bringing the coins back with me as part of the $800 duty free allowance...

Has anyone done this?

Did you have any trouble with CBSA?

Any trouble with missing packages or the like?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1388 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Check TheCoinHunter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To start, the GSP program is a total rip off. I refuse to by anything from sellers who use it world wide and I let them know. Keep in mind that the $800 is applicable only after 48 hours. Other than that, as long as you have receipts, it's a none issue. I've never had any problems with any of the cross border shopping delivery boxes. I use one in Ogdensburg, NY but just about every border town has them. Or just get a USPS PO box but that limits you to USPS deliveries and many companies in the US use Fedex/UPS. Last but not least one thing to consider is that many eBay sellers will only ship to PayPal addresses on file and Paypal does not support multiple addresses (last I checked) so you may need to run two accounts.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
260 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KHatt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ya, the one thing that really upsets me about GSP is that they don't (or don't always) allow combined shipping. I had one where I bought a coin from a seller and decided to buy a couple other things thinking that "since I'm paying shipping anyway" I'd bid. GSP wouldn't let me combine so I had to pay shipping 5 times!

#Urgh
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1388 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Check TheCoinHunter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't bother. If I really want something, I ask the seller to relist without GSP. Sometimes the sellers are shocked to find out how much the buyer actually has to pay to have the item shipped (It's not shown to them). Obviously this coin is over priced but it gives you a pretty good idea of how big of a ripoff the program is. 123072898109
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15584 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a seller I ship packages less than $50 and only a few ounces direct with no tracking. Only costs a couple bucks.

I've never had a Canadian buyer stiff me, ever.

Ill send up to $100 plus for repeat buyers.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1655 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canada does not have a 800$ tax free duty limit, we have a 20$ limit.. the USA has the 800$ limit..
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
260 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KHatt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canada does have an $800 limit when individuals travel over 48 hours. The $20 limit is for mail.

https://travel.gc.ca/returning/cust...s-mini-guide
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1930 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have had many packages sent from the US to Canada by regular UPS, most recently from one of our members, and the value for most of them has been over $20. I have not had anything get stopped for tax for years. It may be due to the small physical size.
Edited by oriole
04/14/2018 9:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
853 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use a US mailbox and direct USPS ship to Canada (tracking and no tracking), it usually depends on shipping cost and or timing to decide which I use.

Most USPS comes in tax/duty free, but sometimes they hit you with the tax. If I use a US mailbox sometimes I pay tax at the border, most times I don't. No issues using either service. The nice thing about a US mailbox is that Heritage Auctions will hold your items and combine shipping.if your purchases are less than $200-$300 they usually let you go, even if you are only gone for 20 minutes.

I have 2 eBay shipping addresses (CAN and USA), rarely a problem shipping to one or the other. I would recommend a place that gives you a physical address, as some places don't like shipping to P.O. Boxes.
Valued Member
Canada
193 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are bringing legal tender or bullion Canadian coins into Canada, there is no tax or duty (but be sure to declare them). You can also have the packages marked as face value, not the price you paid, so a 1948 silver dollar can be listed as "face value-$1.00", perfectly legal.
I have received 3 packages (in 18 years) that the gov't charged fees on, all were valued at what I paid, not face value; one listed as numismatic items (100 large cents), one as philatelic items (10 x 1965-66 mint sets) seller was stamp dealer who goofed, and one large bullion lot over $1000. I appealed, sending photos of the eBay auction pages to explain they were Canadian coins, and all 3 fees were eventually refunded.
I have sent and received 1000's of coins by mail and losses are under 5.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
260 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KHatt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks TerryT and Purelywasted, useful info ... much appreciated.
Canada
4 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2018  12:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robb4640 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use CBI-USA in Niagara Falls NY. Costs $5.95/package but at least I can get items that sellers won't ship to Canada. They will hold items for a long time and not charge storage fees. Still works out cheaper than that Global Shipping program. Also the address is a physical address so you don't have to worry about places that won't send to po boxes.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2083 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2018  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've purchased coins on two occasions (both US and Canadian) in the US and upon my return at the Canadian border services, I've had to pay HST once and the second time the customs officer said "no, you don't have to pay any HST because you're buying currency and there's no taxes or duties on currency".

I found myself in a funny situation because I was the one who was trying to make the case for paying taxes and she was adamant in her opinion that I should not.

Bottomline line, I think it's the custom officer's judgment call and 99% of the time, you'll be paying taxes.

I just happened to encounter on that day the nicest custom's officer around.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1388 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2018  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Check TheCoinHunter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just for the record and clearing up misinformation, declaring a coin as "legal tender" at its face value if you actually paid more than face value for it is NOT "perfectly legal" and is subject to tax no different than when buying current year Circulation Sets from the mint at a cool 19.95 PLUS TAX. Bullion of .997 or better purity is considered an investment and not subject to tax.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.71 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05