Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My first detected Indian head penny, how to clean?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  5:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lasercats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am ecstatic that I found my first Indian Head penny in my backyard today with my Garrett ACE 250, however I can only read the reverse of the coin, and the obverse is toasted.

I rinsed it with water for about one second and then lightly rubbed with my finger and got most of the dirt off, but I can not see any detail on the obverse.

I read about some remedies like soaking in olive oil, but I would like it if someone could evaluate the coin to see if it is even worth risking it.

Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
United States
4576 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations on your find. This looks like a bronze cent minted from 1864-1909. There are many of these around, so a dateless, heavily corroded one would have little value above face value. I would keep it and document it as an interesting find connected to the place where you found it. Cleaning or conserving that coin is not going to make it worth much. Keep it original to the state it was in when you found it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7639 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
,congrats on your first IHC but it's a goner .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
24434 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good for you, but don't waste your time or money trying to make sense of this one.

to the CCF!
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

Bedrock of the Community
United States
14259 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Be sure to record date and location of find.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05