Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1942 Aluminum Penny Found

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  12:51 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add brudea to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this post while browsing trying to find information on my 1942 Aluminum Penny . Here's an interesting question. In the case of the 1974-D Aluminum Cent, according to Steve Roach of Coin World:
The Mint's position has been consistent: because Congress never issued an aluminum cent as legal tender, any example remains property of the federal government regardless of how long it has been in private hands.
That seems inconsistent with the 1942 Aluminum Cent (J2079) which appears to be legal to own and has been sold. Does J2079 contradict and defeat the government's position for the 1974-D Aluminum Cent? Also, should the 1974-D Aluminum Cent have a different Judd number than the 1974 Aluminum Cent, or should they share the J2151 designation?

Pillar of the Community
United States
3934 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  12:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a well circulated cent that has been coated with Mercury.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  01:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add brudea to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah ....It would be good to have it checked out anyway by a professional. You just never know
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8471 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  01:15 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please keep your questions to a single topic.

How much does it weigh?
Such Oxygen!

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  01:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add brudea to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its very light . I have several 1943 Steel pennies and its light as they are. It is not heavy like a regular penny. doesn't feel heavy
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  02:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OldMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You need to weigh it. It (1942 or 1974) should weigh about 937 milligrams.
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  02:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FrankenCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the forum brudea:

Yes best test is to weight it.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14561 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  03:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a genuine ordinary zinc coated steel wartime Cent to me.
Now that you have it in hand, it is easy to get it weighed.

If it was in aluminum, and is genuine, it would weigh less than one gram;
0.93 of a gram, to be exact.
If it is genuine, you should hand it back the Feds.
If it is false, then it is illegal.

Anyone with good machine shop equipment and knowledge on die hubbing, can make false dies, and strike coins from rolled sheet aluminum.
A book published by Charles M. Larson tells you how to do this. The book has been endorsed by no less than Ken Bressett, a past President of the ANA.
Edited by sel_69l
04/15/2018 03:38 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8471 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  03:34 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Its very light . I have several 1943 Steel pennies and its light as they are. It is not heavy like a regular penny. doesn't feel heavy

Steel cents are slightly lighter than copper (0.41g), but an aluminum cent would be way lighter, as has already been pointed out (sitting under one gram).

You need to get a weight to 1/100g to know.

@sel

Quote:
Looks like a genuine ordinary zinc coated steel wartime Cent to me.

That would be true if the date read 1943.

Such Oxygen!

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Edited by spruett001
04/15/2018 03:36 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14561 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  03:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Had to update my post; sorry about that.
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  04:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FrankenCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Steel Penny specs:

Metal Composition: Steel Coated Zinc

Diameter: 19 mm
Mass / Weight: 2.7 grams

If it is a real 1942 this is going to be interesting.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14561 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  07:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin looks more out of focus than the fingerprint lines on the hand.
That suggests to me that the coin detail is fuzzy or mushy.
Fuzzy or mushy detail is diagnostic of copying.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not aluminum. A plain old ordinary cent that's been heavily cleaned.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30283 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Must somehow have been plated.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
610 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cookiemonster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
any clearer pics
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add brudea to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A friend took the pics wit her iPhone but she has to get lighting for the phone as her lighting does not work. I will take more pics. How do I weight this cent ? To solve it all I will have it checked out by a professional. I dont think it will hurt to do this to be sure. I did the magnet test and it does not stick. I notice it from my 1943 steel pennies . I thought it was one of them until I looked at the date. I just put it in water to get the dirt off which fell off easily . I didst heavily clean it as someone stated
Edited by brudea
04/15/2018 11:15 am
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05