Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1915h shilling - Correct grade?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Australia
175 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  02:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinOS to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This shilling was given MS61 by NGC

I don't know if it deserves that grade and am curious what others here familiar with Australian predecimal silver coinage think.

Thanks in advance
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14465 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  02:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am confident enough to disagree with the TPGraders, when I think I should.
Perhaps AU 58 would have been about right.
I understand why you think a lower grade; the diamonds in the crown band are certainly not obvious.
I have seen sharper strikes in this grade, of this date.

Nice patina, for those who like patinas. For modern machine made coins, I prefer blast white. An MS shilling in original blast white with full mint luster, would be a very rare coin indeed.

When grading from pictures, a patina can sometimes hide tiny nicks and scratches.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
872 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  03:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stevo1962 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah might be right hard to tell from those photos
Edited by stevo1962
04/15/2018 03:41 am
Valued Member
Australia
196 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  03:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow really ms61 well the high point on the obverser is good but bread looks off and the reverse has points of wear. Its definitely got poor eye appeal.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
872 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  03:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stevo1962 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wow really ms61 well the high point on the obverser is good but bread looks off and the reverse has points of wear. Its definitely got poor eye appeal.

They can still grade MS with a small amount of wear
Valued Member
Australia
196 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  05:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My guess is its better in the hand and has nice lustre.
Pics are not the best perhaps.
MS61 looks spot on to me.
Valued Member
Australia
175 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinOS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better photos.

Quote:
They can still grade MS with a small amount of wear

I did not know that.
This from NGC:

It's up for auction now, 5 days to go.
Opening bid is USD900 [including buyer's premium] - no bids yet.

I suspect one bid will win that auction - bit difficult deciding on this one.

MS grade 1915h shillings are very rare, PCGS and NGC together have only ever graded a dozen or so.
It is the most valuable shilling and stands above both the 1921s and 1933.

People always say 'Buy the coin, not the slab' and that applies perfectly here.

That obverse is a mess, it has no eye appeal.
Anyway, I appreciate all input.

Edited by CoinOS
04/15/2018 10:05 am
Valued Member
Australia
196 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
might be worth 1000 dollars, however, I'm not expert in rare shilling so won't be able to tell you how many of these might exist and then how many people might wanat such a think.
Valued Member
Australia
196 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
for reference look at this

1915H Shilling PCGS AU58 but going for 5.8k
Valued Member
Australia
175 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinOS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
might be worth 1000 dollars, however, I'm not expert in rare shilling

They are very rare and valuable in high grades.

I like that AU58 better than this one.

Quote:
I understand why you think a lower grade; the diamonds in the crown band are certainly not obvious.

There are a dozen or so reasons I'm pretty sure this is misgraded.

Edited by CoinOS
04/15/2018 6:28 pm
Valued Member
Australia
216 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add airgem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just another example of US overgrading on Aussie coins.Wouldn't get higher than EF if I graded it!.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
872 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  03:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stevo1962 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They might say that they don't grade MS with wear but they do
Edited by stevo1962
04/16/2018 03:59 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
534 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just another example of US overgrading on Aussie coins.Wouldn't get higher than EF if I graded it!.

FWIW I agree but I would go a bit higher than EF.

I used to have a bit of confidence Grading Oz. Coins but stay right out of it now as I'm always Grading under the majority(& 3rd party graders) opinion.
Edited by Basil
04/16/2018 07:41 am
Valued Member
Australia
71 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add agent86 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The NGC coin certainly has an AU58 look to it. Even if we accept that the apparent rubbing on the emu and the kangaroo is more cabinet friction (i.e. poor storage) than detail lost due to wear, there seem to be too many marks particularly on the obverse to be just bagmarks. However what cannot glean from the pictures is the lustre on the coin. Breaks in the lustre caused by many minute contact marks are very helpful in determining the grade of borderline coins such as this.
The moustache is always poorly detailed on 1915H shillings, even on early strikes such as mine.

On the NGC coin, the band and the fourth set of pearls look really weak. This can be because of wear, but it also can be strike weakness. If it was strike weakness then the star on the reverse should also be weak (i.e. have a rounded profile). It is however quite strong, hinting that the obverse weakness is more likely due to wear.
Valued Member
Australia
175 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2018  04:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinOS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agent86

Quote:
The moustache is always poorly detailed on 1915H shillings, even on early strikes such as mine.

I'd agree with that, it is on all of mine.

That coin you posted is extremely rare in that grade and
is a $20,000 coin (guess) but the topic title coin is overgraded in my opinion and was a pass.

I have nice 1915h's but none in MS6* - they are so very rare and expensive.
Valued Member
Australia
55 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2018  02:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add serenitystan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Genuine Unc. Details.. Friction wear..Just buy the pic. Looks like it's been in someones purse for a couple of days..
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05