Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1921 peace dollar and 1937 buffalo nickel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
276 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  1:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KenBerthiaume to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
what do you think? Cleaned? Good condition? The Peace dollar is expensive.
Thank you for replies.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3125 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The high relief 21 Peace dollar has a few too many chatter marks on the obverse. Bit of a rim bump at the 11 pm reverse position with very little luster. Could just be the lighting though. At worse, AU58. At best, MS62......both grades depended on luster and lack of obvious over dipping (which I cannot tell from these photos, at least 100%).

The buff- How is the luster in hand? Is that a scratch on the reverse, starting at the horn and heading due east?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24663 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dollar looks like it has a strong strike?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenBerthiaume to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i don't have them in hand yet. if that is a scratch, I will probably return it. Sad if it's a scratch.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30182 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure looks like a scratch to me. Dollar looks like a solid 62 or better.
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenBerthiaume to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, i'll have to send it back. Not sure how I missed it. Crazy. I got a decent price on the 1921, I think. What do you think would be a good price?

Weird, I see 1937 and 1938 unslabbed Buffalo nickels and the look as good as some of these MS 63 or MS 65 ones, but they're much cheaper. Why wouldn't a person just get them "slabbed"? Does it cost a lot? Do you send the coins in yourself or do you go to a coinshop and they do it?

Sorry for the many questions.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7309 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Weird, I see 1937 and 1938 unslabbed Buffalo nickels and the look as good as some of these MS 63 or MS 65 ones, but they're much cheaper.

I've seen many coins that have been cleaned and marketed as high-grade coins. Be careful when purchasing raw coins. Don't forget - if you have any questions before buying something, post pics of it here. We're happy to help.

Quote:
Why wouldn't a person just get them "slabbed"? Does it cost a lot? Do you send the coins in yourself or do you go to a coinshop and they do it?

It depends on the coin. Any coins below $150 - $200, you should not slab IMO. You will not really enhance the value much, and sometimes the grading fee is more than what the coin is worth.

With PCGS and NGC, you can either send the coins in yourself, or through a dealer. If you send them in yourself, you have to pay a membership fee, though.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
United States
655 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ron6788 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The obverse of the Peace dollar looks dipped to me, with a flat, overly silver-looking surface. If not, if it's just the way the photo makes it look, then the coin looks MS-61 to me. I think $250 is a good price, provided you have return privileges.

The buffalo pics are very small but it looks MS64. The light scratch on the reverse looks like it could be on a plastic cover, as on a flip. Hopefully, it is. Doesn't look like a high value coin, maybe $25.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1753 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Solid strike on the 1921, looks MS but you need to submit to find out for sure.

It could be the proof dies. You can see the distinguishing die polish marks with a loupe. Compare with the proof die photos 1G and 1H.
http://www.vamworld.com/1921-P+Peace+VAMs

Here's my proof dies MS62

"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
04/15/2018 7:02 pm
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenBerthiaume to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I paid 144 for the Peace dollar. I didn't think it was dipped, but it does look kind of overly silvery as you say. Not sure what to do. 1921s are expensive.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6826 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree strong strike and MS on the 1921. I'd keep it regardless. The Buffalo isn't worth a whole lot anyway....maybe you could send it back and keep the '21.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05