Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My 3 recent pick ups, 1 Greek, 2 Roman

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
782 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  5:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CGCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey All,

Recently picked these 3 coins up, 2 pretty rare Emperors and a gorgeous Greek Didrachm from Caria.
Pics are all from NGC

400-300 BC Caria - Isle of Rhodes Didrachm - This instantly caught my eye with the huge relief of the bust.

69 AD Vitellius Denarius with Libertas Standing rev. - Year of 4 Emperors

193 AD Pertinax Denarius with Emperor sacrificing on rev. - Year of 5 Emperors

Rev is much better than photo letters are visable all around(just washed out in NGC Pic)
Edited by CGCoins
04/16/2018 5:06 pm
Learn More...
United States
21696 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Three very nice coins. I particularly like the Rhodes drachm. Are you going to break them out of the slabs?
Pillar of the Community
United States
782 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CGCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've always said I would bust them out of their plastic prisons, just have not yet got around to it.

As soon as I saw that Rhodes coin, I fell in love with it. The craftsmanship they put into those designs is amazing.
Valued Member
United States
342 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've always said I would bust them out of their plastic prisons, just have not yet got around to it.

I'm envious of that Pertinax. I've never found one I could afford.

But while I agree in general with "busting 'em out" I might hold off on the Pertinax. Too many cracks that appear to go all the way through.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5170 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pertinax is my favorite; I missed my chance on one on Vcoins - it was criminally underpriced ($750 for problem-free VF) but I just couldn't spare the cash at the time. Never even seen a comparable deal since. Congrats on getting one of the toughest emperors!
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8433 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Three very nice coins. I particularly like the Rhodes drachm. Are you going to break them out of the slabs?

Those were my exact thoughts as I was viewing your post. Well done!
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All three exceptional finds. Congratulations.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14493 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really nice three coins.
I hope Sap has something to say on the Caria!
Pillar of the Community
United States
782 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CGCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Pertinax was not cheap, but I could not pass it at its price. It being graded/authenticated really helped me pull the trigger. It is much better in hand. Its Graded VG, with Strike of 4/5 and Surface 4/5
Canada
43 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2018  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Claudius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a very nice Pertinax...scroll a bit..

http://augustuscoins.com/index.html#2nd

Finn... what name do you sell under on eBay?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05