Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

It's Showtime! Film And Theater Stocks

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
404 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  12:20 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Few people know that my bachelor's degree is in Speech and Dramatic Arts. So I have a soft spot for stocks from theaters and the movie industry. I don't have a great many but see if you recognize some of these...

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can certainly understand your enthusiasm. Great photos. Do you ever enter the revenues arena?
Valued Member
United States
404 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2018  02:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't specifically collect revenue stamped paper, but I find some of them intriguing. I'm also a member of the stocks and bonds subforum on the sister site Stamp Community Family, but don't post there much these days. They are definitely more focused on the revenue than the paper.
Learn More...
United States
79288 Posts
Valued Member
United States
404 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2018  02:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one that doesn't look like much but was a big deal in the film industry. Famous Players-Lasky was the first major studio during the silent era and eventually came to own the biggest chain of movie theatres in the country. It also created the first movie stars (Rudolph Valentino, Gloria Swanson, Mary Pickford) and made some of the first epics: "The Sheik," the first "The Ten Commandments," and "Wings" which won the first Academy Award. The company eventually became Paramount Pictures.

Learn More...
United States
79288 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2018  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$25.00 large size war bond issued by the Ward Theatre in Brooklyn. The picture of the theatre is from a later date.

Learn More...
United States
79288 Posts
Valued Member
United States
404 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2018  01:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
$25.00 large size war bond issued by the Ward Theatre in Brooklyn.

Neat item! I had no idea a theater could issue a bond. Or was that something any business could do?

Three more tonight. I'm pretty sure the first two are live theaters rather than movie houses, but it's hard to know for certain. Keystone definitely looks operatic. The ticket company probably supplied tickets for a variety of events, performing arts and sports.

My typical rule is to collect only engraved certificates, but theaters is one category where I'm willing to pick up lithographed material like these.

Edited by GregAlex
05/22/2018 01:47 am
Learn More...
United States
79288 Posts
Valued Member
United States
404 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one I forgot about among my specimens. This company was only around for three years in the late 1930s.

Pillar of the Community
United States
6139 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating pieces of history! I can see why people want to collect these. I especially like that war bond.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Learn More...
United States
79288 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's one I forgot about among my specimens. This company was only around for three years in the late 1930s.
Very nice!
Valued Member
United States
404 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2018  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another specimen stock, this one from Medallion Pictures. They apparently distributed cheesy foreign films in the 1960s and '70s.

iqoCxsKwDjg

Learn More...
United States
79288 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4055 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2018  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another fine addition Greg.
ANA member: 3178122
NTCA member: 10118
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05