Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Way To Make Hard Plastic Cases Air Tight?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 885Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4012 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2018  12:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
At a recent coin club meeting, I noticed that one of the members had some of his silver coins in those hard plastic 2x2s, but he had sealed the edges with pieces of that metal "duct tape" that is often used for sealing metal duct work. He thought that it would make the cases completely air tight.

This seemed like a very interesting idea, so I thought to ask the CCF if they have heard of this or used it?
Rest in Peace
10197 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2018  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ahh, duct tape has GLUE...chemicals ya know? Doncha think t may be a bit risky to add the element of sealed vapors into the mix? It would be just as rediculous to superglue the edges. A quality "Air-tight" by its name is all that is needed or use vacuum sealing food wrapping, that is coinsafe as well!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8715 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2018  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would just use an Airtite. Duct tape may expose the coin to chemicals in the tape.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2018  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Coins + Duct Tape = oooglie possibilities.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4012 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2018  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So maybe it is not such a brilliant idea. The next time I see him I will mention that.
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2018  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much....so now I have a visual of that guy in the coin club holding his coin albums together with baling wire.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4012 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2018  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@USSID18, actually he does not use bailing wire!

His collection is well organized in 2x2s and binders (well except for the metal duct taped plastic holders.

But he is a kind of DIY guy, he built a lot of his house, so why not make his own coin holders?
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2018  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But he is a kind of DIY guy, he built a lot of his house, so why not make his own coin holders?

Next time you go to that coin club meeting, take a picture of that guys hard plastic 2x2s with duct tape. We would love to see those.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17230 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2018  03:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the plastic itself is permeable so over time gases will go right through the plastic itself. So the plastic holders may be a resistant but they aren't airtight.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 885Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05