Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

is my coin fake or not ?

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2311 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Bret… Would this scanner pick up on a tungsten core surrounded by gold? I think that was the OPs biggest fear.
http://goccf.com/t/303774
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
1051 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely. Scanners tell you the exact metal content of the entire object. I first saw one used at a coin show when I was selling a couple of 1oz gold bars. We agreed on a sale at spot, the buyer got out his scan gun and he scanned both bars. I've since seen them used by the bullion buyers/sellers on several occasions.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1098 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe this is false -- scanners only analyze the surface. Plating of sufficient quality and thickness would fool any scanner.
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (Bust era), Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4211 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From SD Bullion:

Quote:
The Precious Metal Testing Scanner has many advantages:
Can be used with any metal.

Reads the metal bulk—not coatings and plating.

Can read through packaging.

Very fast—1 second results.

No wet chemistry, no consumables, no scraping or filing.

Inexpensive to buy and use.

Detects and prevents precious metal fraud.

Can assist in determining numismatic authenticity.

Easy to use, easy to program for additional sample types.

Portable—long battery life.

Durable—no maintenance required.

https://sdbullion.com/gold-and-silv...a-metalytics
Edited by Foxwoods Man
05/16/2018 3:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1098 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, this is a different type of scanner than XRF, which is what I was thinking of. XRF comes up often in these threads -- this one is new to me. Thanks for posting that!
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (Bust era), Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
Valued Member
Canada
482 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheBurnz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still think sending to PCGS is cheaper. Whats this device cost, 10 grand...
Learn More...
United States
60341 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Still think sending to PCGS is cheaper.
I agree.

Quote:
Whats this device cost, 10 grand...
Twice that.

Of course, if you are a big buyer or dealer it is probably the better investment since you need confirmation more immediately.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4211 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Click on the link provided..$750
Learn More...
United States
60341 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did not see your link earlier. I thought we were referencing the one in Bret's video.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1051 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guys, this is simple. You can get free scanning if you have a hot wife or girlfriend. Take her to the coin show with you. Look around and find a bullion dealer with a scanner and then get her to ask him to scan the coin(s) to verify that they're real. 9/10 times, they'll do it for free. Of course, your wife or girlfriend might find some jewelry that she wants, so that might ruin your cost. On second thought, perhaps it's better to just ask if they'll scan it for you and pay a few bucks if necessary. Or, as previously stated, send it off to an authentication service. Don't forget that you'll need to pay shipping insurance both ways.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
19472 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Absolutely. Scanners tell you the exact metal content of the entire object. I first saw one used at a coin show when I was selling a couple of 1oz gold bars. We agreed on a sale at spot, the buyer got out his scan gun and he scanned both bars. I've since seen them used by the bullion buyers/sellers on several occasions.

I used to think the same thing. Not true.

Had it proven to me at the last FUN show CCF set up at. Guy had a Chinese tungsten core plated gold gar that was cut in half. Plated about 20 microns. Read as gold all day long on the plating with a 17K hand held XRF scanner.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2311 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That makes more sense to me. The scientist in me was trying to figure out how a scanner could possibly scan the entire mass of an object.
http://goccf.com/t/303774
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
1051 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
bobby, not questioning what you saw. It just doesn't make sense to me how they could sell a scanner to anyone if it only scanned the surface. I don't see people investing thousands upon thousands of dollars in them for what would basically be no return on investment.

A scanner can scan the entire mass of an object just the same as it can scan a few microns in to the same object. Think about how a CAT scan machine works. It can tell you density all the way through an object to create a 3D image. The frequency of the rays that reflect back to the scanner let it know which metals have been detected.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
19472 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, The guy that showed me was selling them. His name was Mark Fashian. He told me portables go 8-12 microns at best and that depends on the metal because some metals resist/deflect the rays more than others.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1098 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a manufacturer of XRF scanners: https://www.olympus-ims.com/en/webi...r-regulaton/

Quote:
Question: You mentioned XRF is surface technique? What is the depth of measurement? Can you analyse metal under the paint or anodized layer (aluminum alloy)?
For light plastics or light organic materials, penetration is on the order of mm or cm. For heavier plastics (like PVC), or plastics with metallic additives (like Ti, Zn), or aluminum alloys, penetration is on the order of a few mm. For heavier metal alloys (Ti, Fe, etc) penetration is on the order of 100s of um, and for the heaviest metals (gold, lead, etc) penetration is a few 10s of um.

The "X" in "XRF" stands for X-ray, and like most forms of light it cannot penetrate metal very far. (Think: why bones in X-rays are white -- the film is not exposed to the rays that did not penetrate the bone.)

Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05