Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A 1968 Specimen Case and dollar?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
863 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2018  10:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I think this is a VIP specimen case, It says 1908-1968 with a emblem of the mint on the top of the case and the inside has the government of Canada crest with a blue felt background. The holder for the coin is pinned into the inside of the case.

It came with a nice looking 1968 dollar, but not certain if it is a specimen or PL.The seller said it was PL, but it looks nicer than my PL dollars.

Pictures are not the best, still working on how to do better tickets.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4573 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2018  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
interesting..can't wait to hear what others have to say..
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 18 year old collector from Mississauga, Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2944 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2018  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are very common . The coins tend to be PL in appearance . Probably the mints first attempt at a “ cased Nickel Dollar” . I am betting they were probably sold at the mint to visitors back in the day. I used to buy PL sets and the strips of nickel Dollars from the mint in the late 1960s and cannot remember them being offered as a retail item.
Platinum Member ANA1127198
Edited by Pacificoin
05/08/2018 11:13 pm
Learn More...
Canada
7969 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2018  12:04 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a PL nickel dollar.

The only way to get 1968 specimen struck coins is with the VIP specimen set, which ls exactly like the 1970 VIP specimen set.

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
863 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2018  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all, it would explain why I could only find a couple images of the case online. Always something new to learn in this forum.
Valued Member
Canada
197 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2018  02:16 am  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Box is nicer than the coin. Looks much nicer than the usual boxes- printed coat of arms and no nice gold-coloured one inside. Probably only went to bosses and friends in the government.
Edited by TerryT
05/09/2018 02:37 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
863 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2018  03:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't verify the truth of this, but does any of this info hold true?

It looks like an interesting piece of research/story but it is not sourced.

https://www.NGCcoin.com/boards/topi...kel-dollars/
Edited by purelywasted
05/09/2018 03:14 am
Learn More...
Canada
7969 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2018  08:18 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is what a 1968 specimen strike nickel dollar looks like.

https://www.PCGS.com/cert/32775144

And even this one, is not as fully struck as the specimen coins from the 1970s...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
197 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2018  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While checking through my silver specimen dollars from 1971 and later, I came upon this page from my 2009 Charlton about specimen dollars. Don't believe everything "experts" tell you. At the top of the first photo, the box in question is described as being for a 1968 or 1969 nickel SPECIMEN dollar.

As for the coin itself, it may or may not be a specimen. Maybe the seller was correct and switched the specimen for the PL and was honest to say what it really was. I would lean (just slightly) toward it being a specimen because most collectors would keep the coin and box together.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
863 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2018  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks TerryT, glad you found that, I was thinking of returning to seller. But was on the fence. I was looking for some kind of reference to that, is that the volume 2 NCLT charelton? As I didn't see any concrete reference in mine from 2015.
Valued Member
Canada
197 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2018  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 2009 edition 63 is a single book with both regular and NCLT items - it's huge, 458 pgs. I think it's the last one before the 2 volume editions. 10 cent varieties in the back.
Gilt Mint bldg. and Coat of Arms = gold-plated.
Edited by TerryT
05/21/2018 8:47 pm
Learn More...
Canada
7969 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2018  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Don't believe everything "experts" tell you. At the top of the first photo, the box in question is described as being for a 1968 or 1969 nickel SPECIMEN dollar.

This reminds me of lessons I teach to graduate students... just because it is published in a book or journal paper somewhere, does not mean it is true... The Charlton catalogues are rife full of errors... some of us have given up trying to fix them, because Bill Cross (at the time) didn't feel like making the necessary edits.

I have seen that box before, but I have NEVER seen a specimen strike nickel dollar contained within it. The 1968 specimen strikes for all denominations are very scarce (I am still seeking a nice 1-cent specimen) - and I have only ever seen 1968 specimen strikes in the six coin elongate boxes.

That is a PL strike.... in a fancy box... "lipstick on a pig" is the expression that comes to mind....

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
863 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2018  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all, I think that settles it for me... or at least until new information is presented

1. The coin looks like a PL (as per original owner), not SP, real SP coin was probably switched/lost/never inserted, maybe it was always PL coins.
2. Box is from the RCM (or until someone/I can find evidence to the contrary). It seems to be fairly uncommon, as I have only found a few instances (2) of them being sold in auctions, or even pictures for that matter, compared to the large number of 1970+ clam shell dollars you see on eBay.

Now the long hunt for an SP 1968 dollar to fill the case. Happy to say, I recently acquired a 1970 VIP case for my set of 1970 SP's.
Learn More...
Canada
7969 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2018  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are scarce and I wish you luck... I have been hunting for a 1968 specimen 1-cent for almost a decade... I just did not want to bite the bullet and pay $1200 for the entire set... but, eventually, if I do, I will give you first crack at the dollar (since I already have one)...

I think with both - then you will have something cool (even if the dollar is in a PCGS slab)....

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
7969 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2018  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The box is definitely from the RCM. I was down at the Bank of Canada Currency Museum today (I am helping the museum with XRF testing of their collections)... and I asked the curator to show me the Royal Canadian Mint specimen and proof-like boxes.

This box was the 1969 issue, but the coin that came inside this box was also proof-like.

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
863 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2018  04:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool, thanks SPP, keep me posted if you find one, I might be interested in one. It is interesting that they put a 1969 coin in a box dated 1908-1968. In the NGC link above, it said there was a 1969 case that did not include the 1908-1968 part, the picture seems to reflect this.

I will have to go into the museum next time I am in Ottawa, I visited the old one but have not had a chance to see the new one yet. That must be really neat working with them and being able to see so many interesting coins close up.
Edited by purelywasted
05/25/2018 05:09 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05