Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anybody Actually Have a Classic Head Large Cent in a 7070 that They Like?

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
4521 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2018  11:19 am Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is the one coin that has just been driving me crazy for years. When I buy coins for my physical 7070 album, I want something to actually stick in the hole instead of just having a slabbed coin that I store elsewhere. And with every other coin in my album I've been able to find raw examples that have enough eye appeal to satisfy me.

Despite years of trying and multiple upgrades, however, I still have been unable to find a raw example of a Classic head Large Cent (1808-14) that I really like. And even if I wanted to buy a slabbed example and crack it out, the only slabbed examples that I've found that appeal to me cost thousands of dollars.

My current hole filler is one I picked up at a coin show last year that cost me a rather hefty $800 or so, and even this one isn't giving me the joy I hoped for:

[It's actually a 1810/09 repunched date, which partially accounts for why I paid so much. The rest was just due to frustration and poor judgment, to be honest, since it looked better in hand then it did under magnification.]

Part of the problem, of course, is the poor quality of planchets that were used for this series. With any other series I have been able to find mid-grade examples that still have a good amount of detail and plenty of eye appeal. But so far any affordable example of this series has had a lot of porosity, and the ones that look good are slabbed and cost many thousands of dollars.

So... what about you guys? Has anybody had any luck finding one for your 7070 album that you are actually satisfied with? Am I being too picky? Too cheap? Or have I just not been looking hard enough?

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Pillar of the Community
United States
6762 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2018  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm looking for one (problem free AG or above) right now. Really hard to find a decent one that doesn't have environmental damage.
I think yours looks great compared to most raw examples I see. If you wait, you probably will find a nice problem free one for a good price.

Inde Et Lib has some nice examples in the $200 - $500 range.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Edited by SilverDollar2017
05/11/2018 11:56 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2006 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2018  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with you BarryG - these are so frustrating. I bought this one for about $100 in a PCGS slab and broke it out.

I've looked for a while to find a better one and considered this one for about $800 but did not buy it.

Member ANA and EAC
Learn More...
United States
62367 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2018  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am happy with mine, but I am not too picky since it fits with everything else near it.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4521 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2018  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Inde Et Lib has some nice examples in the $200 - $500 range

OK, I'll bite -- what is Inde Et Lib?

(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Pillar of the Community
United States
4521 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2018  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am happy with mine, but I am not too picky since it fits with everything else near it.

Well, at least your planchet isn't corroded or porous...

The other coins I have near it didn't cost me all that much, but I was able to find examples with decent surfaces and a good amount of details at a price I could afford:

So, maybe the key here is to find worse examples of the other coins so that this one doesn't look so bad in comparison...

Edited by barryg
05/11/2018 1:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1343 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2018  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Check shadowtrooper78's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add shadowtrooper78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Barry Inde Et Lib is an eBay seller
Pillar of the Community
United States
4521 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2018  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, thank you.

Learn More...
United States
62367 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2018  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well, at least your planchet isn't corroded or porous...
True.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8576 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2018  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't own one that I'm not happy with, but then again I'm still looking for the right one to fill that pesky hole in my 7070.
Member SSDC
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7523 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2018  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

They are tough and expensive in better grades. I actually like mine, rough as it is.
I like the date 1812, relating to "The War of 1812".
On the left of most every CCF page, I am trying to remember to use CCF Partners links. They are highlighted in lime green!
It helps CCF a little. Try it!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6762 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2018  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
OK, I'll bite -- what is Inde Et Lib?

Shadowtrooper78 got it, it's an eBay seller who is known for selling nice copper coins.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
United States
4521 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2018  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm unable to find a seller on eBay with that name. Are you sure it's "Inde Et Lib"?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1343 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4521 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2018  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah. I found him searching on "indeetlib" instead of "inde et lib".

Thanks!

Edited by barryg
05/11/2018 2:55 pm
Valued Member
United States
341 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2018  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my 1810 from my set. I figured that I would upgrade it when I find one I like.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.08 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05