Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ionia, Phokaia AR Trihemiobol - Archaic female head 500 BC  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4684 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  4:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Of the two Naumann lots, this was by far my favorite find! And to think it wasn't even in the auction photos!

Ionia, Phokaia
AR Obol or Trihemiobol (10mm, 0.94g)
520-478 BC
Archaic style female head left, wearing cap or helmet
Rough Quadrupartite incuse

Ionia was one of the earliest adopters of coined money in the 7th or 6th centuries BC, and were renowned mariners and tradesmen, sailing as far away as Iberia (Spain.) They were subjugated by the Achaemenid empire, but were active participants in the various rebellions and wars to shrug off Persian dominance.

These coins follow the even more archaic series featuring seal and griffin heads, and are among the earliest coins to depict the human form.

The identity of the archaic female is not known with certainty, but some suppose it to be Athena or Aphrodite.
Check out my latest sale:
http://goccf.com/t/303107
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6911 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a sweet pick-up! That is an interesting thought experiment--which coin in your collection is the oldest that has an image of the human form? I'll have to dig through mine.

Added: and the answer is that my Siglos from the Achaemenid Empire is my oldest coin (455 to 420 BC) with an image of a person.
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Edited by Spence
05/14/2018 8:54 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14680 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really lovely coin. You'll never get tired of looking at that beauty.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
664 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Little gem there Steve! 10mm and they put that kind of detail into to the obverse....Amazing!

Super little coin with the reverse Quadrupartite giving it great character, nice pick-up.

Paul
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4684 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all!

Doing a little bit more light reading on the peculiar style of the coins from this period, I learned that these extremely early coins correspond with the zenith of "Black Figure" vase painting in Greece:

Traditionally, the dominant artistic culture of the Mediterranean was Egypt, with Persia also of significant but less wide influence. Greek art began as copies of the rigid, formalized Egyptian art until about the 7th/6th century BC when Persia sprung to become the dominant world power. The Black Figure period is beginning experiments in innovation, while still largely clinging to the artistic traditions of Egypt and Persia. It wasn't until the 5th century BC that Greek art began to truly surpass the others; therefore the archaic figure period of numismatics occupies a rather narrow strip; perhaps only 50-100 years!

On the subject of "first human figure on a coin" I would love to know the answer, although I suspect that most coins of this period have ranges of uncertainty spanning at least two to five decades--it probably isn't possible to know who was "first" although I would love to read opinions!
Bosnia And Herzegovina
17 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add terza to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is mine

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6911 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is mine

@terza, for those of us still learning about ancient Greece, could you please provide some details?
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Bosnia And Herzegovina
17 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  01:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add terza to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes of course I posted the coin in another new topic when I have a beter pictures and time sory I just posted like this ;)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4684 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent coin, terza! Although yours is not from Ionia but rather Troas:

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/gree...ebren/t.html

The lot included one of those too, but not a very pretty example.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2394 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2018  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of all the dealers on Vcoins I think Nuemann is the one I have had most dealings with... they always have fantastic coins and fair prices. This coin is no exception, certainly my cup of tea.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.6 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05