Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1906 IHC - star punch  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
644 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  4:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add drdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found this and thought it was interesting. At first I thought it was a dot, but upon magnification, it turns out to be a five-pointed star. Any back story of how it got there? (Lots of pitting on the coin - too bad)

Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ZenFE99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's raised above the surface, correct?
That's pretty interesting, not sure what it is, but sure someone here has an explanation.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14680 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Odd die chip? I can understand why you would ask. Hopefully Crazy or Coop will give a better opinion.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8059 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin looks waxed or varnished, too shiny for such porous surfaces. I would soak it in acetone, 24hrs at least, see if it comes off with a toothpick. Since it is raised, only two possibilities exist. 1) die chip from a formed punch or 2) additional material applied. I'm in the camp of #2. I don't like that surface texture, not naturally worn, shows environmental damage, a dug coin, a lot of corrosiveness. Note the gloppy spot in front of nose, similar in nature, THAT is uncleaned corrosion! The texture of obverse screams of a field find.
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." Lord John Dalberg-Acton

Edited by Crazyb0
05/14/2018 7:57 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
25236 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Soak in acetone for 24 hours? Put a blob of paint stripper on it for 5 minutes and you'll answer that question.
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

Pillar of the Community
United States
8059 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mr Frog! Wash your mouth! We mustn't spread such realistic view here, this is the coin forum you know, not Uncle Joe's Fixit Show!

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." Lord John Dalberg-Acton

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5572 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
this is the coin forum you know, not Uncle Joe's Fixit Show!

Didn't Uncle Joe have a son too?
Having a sense of humor is the greatest thing God gave you! Have fun using it!

Working on Whitman Large Cent date set album 1793-1857 (57 holes filled of 64 total) now come the "toughies" - yikes!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13822 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The whole coin shows that it has been in a corrosive environment. The coin had a drop of something on it that protected the surface there that retarded the corrosion there resulting in a raised dot I believe.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
644 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate the comments. Not to argue, but I see a very symmetrical 5-star pattern and not just an asymmetric area of protected corrosion. Maybe I'm seeing things...As a side note - aren't most small stars on US coins 6-sided? The coin is currently sitting in acetone and will look at it again.
Pillar of the Community
United States
644 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After soaking it for a day - surface became a bit lighter, but the "star" is still there - tried to push it off but didn't budge.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3256 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's a die chip.
Collector of all classic US coinage.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05