Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Roll hunting, some good finds and.....

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  10:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add FlyFishGeek to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought the wife a few rolls of LWC for mother's day and of course I got to search one. I must say, great rolls comparatively. One of the pennies is unlike any I have found or recall seeing. The reverse has a large crack across it, I say crack because it is not a straight line. Above the line looks great but below it is almost pitted looking, you can still read some of the words through the pitting. The other side is also pitted but not as severe. Of course I have pictures but they are too big to post and I only have my cell right now.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8124 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm envisioning a massive lamination peel, but that's being optimistic.

I'll wait for pics.
"Baseball gets you out in the fresh air and keeps you from talking about your neighbors."
-Lib Dooley

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
United States
1897 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  01:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly what I pictured spruett great vision I must say
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FlyFishGeek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pictures will be as soon as I can figure that out. The rolls also produced 2 more coins towards the completion of the wheaties!! The collection is now down to single digits left to go !!
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FlyFishGeek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok, poor pics and I will get some better but later when I have more than my phone. Hard to see here but the words can still be made out on the reverse under the whatever it is.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
32279 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it was held in some acid that affected each side of the coin. If the area tapers off from the line (including the diameter) that may have been one happened to it.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FlyFishGeek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop, agreed other than the line is not straight? The obverse definitely looks that way. Why couldn't someone have destroyed a 1982d instead of this '26
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
32279 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It may have been back in 1926 when they did it? We don't know. People mess up great coins all the time. Experimenting on them. Damaging them:

What people do to coins today, could be the futures looking back and them say, "Why did they do that to make the coin look better. Now look at it!" They used to soak coin in olive oil. Not they don't because it is organic and in time it can rot even in metal. They used to varnish BU coins to keep them shiny. That didn't work out. They used to put Proof/BU coins in an envelope to keep them safe. Now the coins are uncirculated but very dark. Some album turn BU coins a different color. I just stick with the way they look and may remove some grit from circulated coins. But BU/proof. I don't try to make them better. Too many bad looking examples that people look back at and regret.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13022 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry man, but it isn't an error. It's Post Strike Damage (Happened out of the U.S. Mint).
Errers and Varietys.
More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950
Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
1988 P LMC RDV-006, 1998 P LMC Wide AM, and 2000 P LMC Wide AM. http://goccf.com/t/327834 http://goccf.com/t/294303 http://goccf.com/t/312900
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FlyFishGeek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks folks, the only thing that was odd to me was the crack not being straight. I am not an error guy, never even look for them. This one was just so dramatic.

I know what you mean about cleaning coop, I came home one day to find a handful of pennies soaking in cola
Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add da Swampster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice mystery.. The 'crack' is only on the reverse, right..?

Swamp
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FlyFishGeek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Swamp, only the reverse and the "pitting" or whatever it is is much less pronounced on the obverse
Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add da Swampster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I know generally how that happened, but not specifically..

Picture this as an example: Water chemical treatment room, chlorine, at a community swimming pool.. The penny gets adhered to the bottom of an outside-inside roller-type door by being cut approx halfway through and approx in half on its reverse side in such a manner that the cent is not only half-inside / half-outside when the door is down but also is held in a way where the obverse is against the floor's flat surface ( and for argument's sake this is a pretty good airtight seal as well.. )

Instead of the cent being eaten away in the liquid direction we were heading (acid) the coin is instead being consumed by a gas.. The airtight seal prevents both sides of the portion of the coin on the outside side of the cut from being damaged much and the obverse against the floor on the inside prevents the same volume of chlorine molecules from attacking it as the reverse is being subjected..

Yes..? No..? Kinda-sorta..? It's the not-straight crack that's the, ermmm, fly in the ointment..

Swamp
Edited by da Swampster
05/15/2018 9:21 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05