Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Your thoughts on this 1953 SF cent? (Edit - whizzed)  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Learn More...
Canada
7785 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  11:37 pm Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Rarely seen this red...

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
141 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  12:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KHatt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Without seeing it in person, I'd say suspected cleaning. There's some lines above the KG that look like they could be hairlines/brush lines, and beside the E in elizabeth there is some surface disruption that might be pitting?

And the hair is a little light on detail... I'd say AU - Cleaned
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6975 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  12:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lacquered?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4521 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  01:03 am  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice whizzing job there
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 18 year old collector from Mississauga, Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Learn More...
Canada
7785 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  01:47 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
nice whizzing job there

Well, that did not take long... good eyes everyone!!

I found this coin going through an old unsearched sack of Canadian cents. This sack does have the odd BU early Elizabeth II and George VI cents and this one jumped out at me.

It is the first time I have seen this good of a whizzed small cent from the Elizabeth II era. Anyone who knows this series, also knows just how hard it is to get a nice, red gem 1953 SF cent. This coin was mint state to begin with, and someone decided to "enhance" it by whizzing.

I am glad I caught this one, and have added this coin to my teaching collection of altered small cents.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2058 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A textbook case of whizzing indeed.

Save the picture and show it anytime someone asks "what does whizzing look like?"
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6975 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO mechanically polished perhaps but not whizzed, whizzing moves metal to simulate luster and sharpen the devices in order to make a worn coin appear less so.
I see none of the hairlines imparted by whizzing in these pics.
Learn More...
Canada
7785 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I see none of the hairlines imparted by whizzing in these pics.

Look below the RA of GRATIA on the obverse and how the hairlines go right up onto the obverse

Look above the designer's initials KG on the reverse.

Lots of hairlines in different orientations give this coin amazing cartwheel lustre. Remember that on small cents, die polishing marks always are north-south.

Bear in mind that whizzing can also be done with plastic brush wheels... metal is not moved, but toning and patina certainly is!!

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2058 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another typical whizzed coin.

I see exactly the same surface on this one as with the OP's 1 cent.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05