Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My first FLORIAN Antoninianus  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
New Zealand
221 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  01:31 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Doctorwho2485 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Everyone, I just won this scarce Antoninianus'2 Denarii' of Emperor Florian of eBay from a trusted Dealer. More on the coin: Type: Roman Imperial
Issuer: Florian
Date Ruled: AD 276
Metal: Bronze
Denomination: Antoninianus
Struck / Cast: struck
Date Struck: AD 276
Diameter: 22 mm
Weight: 3.47 g
Obverse Legend: IMP C M AN FLORIANVS P AVG
Obverse Description: Radiate and cuirassed bust right
Reverse Legend: PRO_VIDEN D_EOR ' Providentia Deorum - Foresight of the gods.'
Reverse Description: Providentia standing right holding two standards, facing Sol standing left, right hand raised and holding globe in left
Exergue: A
Mint Mark: A/ star in mid-field
Mint: Serdica
Primary Reference: RIC V/I 110(F) RIC unlisted
Reference2: Estiot Venèra - 2923. Also more on him: Florianus (Latin: Marcus Annius Florianus Augustus; died 276), also known as Florian, was Roman Emperor in 276 AD, from July to September. He was the maternal half-brother of Tacitus, who was proclaimed emperor in late 275 AD, after the unexpected death of Emperor Aurelian. After Tacitus died in July 276 AD, allegedly of assassination, Florianus proclaimed himself emperor, with the recognition of the Roman Senate and much of the empire. However, Florianus soon had to deal with the revolt of Probus, who rose up soon after Florianus ascended the throne, with the backing of the provinces of Egypt, Syria, Palestine, and Phoenicia. Despite his military experience, Probus was in a precarious position, as he held the support of only a small part of the empire, while much of the empire backed Florianus. Probus also took advantage of his control of Egyptian grain, which he used to swiftly cut off the supply of grain to the rest of the empire. Probus led his troops to Asia Minor, in order to defend the Cilician Gates, allowing him to utilize guerrilla warfare to wage a war of attrition rather than a straightforward war. Florianus led his troops to Cilicia, and billeted his forces in Tarsus, however many of his troops, who were unaccustomed to the hot climate of the area, fell ill due to a summer heat wave. Upon learning of this, Probus launched skirmishes around the city, in order to weaken the morale of Florianus' forces. This strategy was very successful, and quite soon Florianus lost control of his army, who in September rose up against him and killed him. In total, Florianus reign lasted only slightly more than 88 days.

Learn More...
United States
21120 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  02:07 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats Doc a nice coin and excellent write-up. I never did get one of his.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14192 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  07:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice acquisition; Florians are scarce.

No wear, most probably from a hoard, corrosion from burial has been passivated, by someone who knows what they were doing. Flan crack, and minor secondary corrosion.
Keep it away from an acidic environment, to prevent it from darkening any further.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4707 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent! Florian was my first "rare" emperor, and still remains one of my favorite, although it seems the price of his coins has been trending downward steeply in the past year.

Hope you don't mind if I share one of my own:

Also, I was not aware he had any marble busts attributed to him. Any context on the one you posted?
Check out my latest sale:
http://goccf.com/t/303107
Valued Member
New Zealand
221 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doctorwho2485 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Everyone and very nice coin Finn235
Valued Member
United States
189 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doc, you're on a small shopping spree lately. Great addition! Always look forward to reading your write ups.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
664 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin, and keep em coming!
Paul
Valued Member
Jordan
66 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ateyat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1614 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2018  05:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a predilection for the Lugdunum mint.

This is my favourite Florian from my collection. None of the others are quite as nice.

Florian Antoninianus

Obv:– IMP C M AN FLORIANVS AVG, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
Rev:– VIRTVS AVGVSTI, Emperor advancing right, holding a shield and spear, treading down captive.
Minted in Lugdunum (IIII in exe) Emission 3 Officina 4, from September to October A.D. 276
Reference:– Cohen 107. Bastien 150. RIC 16 Bust type C

Martin
Valued Member
New Zealand
221 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2018  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doctorwho2485 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice,awesome coin maridvnvm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05