Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Very scarce Nabatean - Wedding of Aretas IV and Shuqailat  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4684 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  11:46 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Naumann first lot contained 125 bronze coins from the near east area, of which about 40-50 were Nabatean! Lots of common types, some scarce and rare types, but this one is my favorite.

Nabatea (Jordan and Saudi Arabia)
Aretas IV (9 BC - 40 AD) and Shuqailat (Shaquilat)
Struck ca. AD 16
Obv: Aretas IV standing, holding spear and resting hand on sword at hip, palm front before, Nabatean H behind (for HRTT, Haritat, his name in Nabatean)
Rev: Shuqailat standing, hand saluting (?), palm wreath before, Nabatean SQ/LY/T behind

The Nabateans were an ancient Arabian tribe who came to sudden prominence in the 2nd/1st centuries BC to capitalize on their ability to navigate the desert to transport spices and other goods to the wealthy Seleucid and Roman provinces. They remained famously unconquerable by virtue of being able to simply pack up and leave at the first sign of trouble - the heavily armed Roman, Seleucid, and Parthian troops simply couldn't pursue them into the wilderness. They are today best known for their capital city at Petra, cut directly from the rock of the surrounding cliffs.

Aretas ascended to the throne in about 9 BC, and Augustus grudgingly accepted him as a sovereign king, outside of Roman influence. His relationship with the Romans was often rocky, although he lent troops to the Romans in 4 BC for an expedition against a Jewish uprising. He became intricately involved with Biblical events when he sent his daughter Phasaelis to marry the Judaean Tetrarch Herod Antipas to solidify peace between their nations. Antipas however had an affair with his half-brother's wife, causing Phasaelis to flee to her father for protection. John the Baptist was the most outspoken critic of Antipas' actions, leading to his arrest and ultimate execution. After further souring relations, Aretas and Antipas went to war; the death of Tiberius halted the reinforcements that Antipas had expected, and Aretas was victorious.

Aretas was initially married to Huldu, but was apparently widowed in about 16, after which he married Shuqailat. She appears on nearly all of Aretas' coinage from that point; he seems to have been quite enamored with her. He was succeeded by his son Malichus, who issued very rare coins naming Shuqailat as his mother, but then he married a woman also named Shuqailat, presumably his sister.

This coin is markedly different from the usual Jugate portrait type, and is assumed to commemorate their marriage.
Check out my latest sale:
http://goccf.com/t/303107
Valued Member
New Zealand
216 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doctorwho2485 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice, awesome coin Finn235 Also a awesome write up too.
Learn More...
United States
21111 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Steve, you have been getting some excellent coins from Naumann's. Petra and the Nabatean coinage has been an interest of mine for some time. This is a type I haven't seen. Another excellent find.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4684 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys.

Here is a more common Aretas and Shuqailat bronze that I have had for a while:

Pillar of the Community
Canada
896 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another great find! Congrats!
"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
664 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Ron, I've never seen this type before nice find!

Paul

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
637 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2018  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tenbobbit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Steve
Some time ago I posted a coin on here in pretty poor condition with only 1 side to work with, with no joy I threw it back with the other mystery coins.

Now I know exactly what it is, cheers mate
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4684 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2018  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad it finally got the ID it deserved!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.01 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05