Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1957 D - Lincoln Wheat Cent with a die chip at "9" and "5"?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
235 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  3:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add antmark3d to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What appears to be chip die near the top of the 9 and 5, is that correct? Thanks in advanced!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3288 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Correct, it's a die chip.
Collector of all classic US coinage.
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Occirats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know but if it is then also consider the right side of the 7
Pillar of the Community
United States
8123 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. Know what is absolutely amazing? That must be some kind of design anomaly of the working hubs. Yours has chips in 9 & 5, and so do a variety of others. My find as seen below differs and CAN"T be a brother because of the progression. The B break happened first. THAT is interesting...why two different dies with similar chip locations...

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." Lord John Dalberg-Acton

Valued Member
United States
235 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antmark3d to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't even look at the "b", I'll go check again.thanks for the information!!
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eye4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have several chips in 1957 LWC... in many stages. (seems pretty common)

Some with "5", some with "5 & 9" and others with only "9"... plus a "B" (which didn't know was related).

I was wondering in what order the die chip moved....

So what stage is the only "9" chip? Is this from the same die?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8123 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
E4E, The pix I took were from three rolls of 57D BU's I had. I am assuming they all came from a same transport bag of 10.000 originally. This means usually only one or two dies may have been used to produce these. Hundreds of dies were used to produce the years coins, all overworked. What I found of all these were this progression, based on the coins found. I found a lot of the B, some B w/5 and only two B w/both 5 & 9. My stages are based on just those findings. Yes, other dies have other breaks and chips. The OP's coin is one that is a different die, for the B filled in first apparently, his(OP) hasn't the B filled, hence different die similar chip areas.
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." Lord John Dalberg-Acton

Valued Member
United States
235 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antmark3d to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Crazyb0 for your hard work! The "b" appears to be fine without any chip damage...at least its a keeper!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
25308 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are so common on the 1957 cents in particular that's it's almost hard to find one without a chip of some sort.
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Crazyb0, Denver used the Bliss presses until 2004 or 2005. For cents, they were set up with four die pairs, to strike four coins per stroke. Bulk cents during this era would have come from no more than four different dies, unless a die replacement happened during a run. I have been told that the four-head setup started during WW II, but haven't been able to pin down the year.

As a "totally useless trivia" aside, when Denver replaced the Bliss presses with the Schuler presses, the old Denver Bliss presses were sold to the infamous "Mulligan Mint." I don't know where they went after Mulligan's bankruptcy.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8123 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stepped in this Northern Colorado boy...

Quote:
I don't know where they went after Mulligan's bankruptcy.

To Shanghai, dummy!

Edited by Crazyb0
05/16/2018 9:36 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
*smack*

Smart-alec! Good one.

One of the auto parts companies also bought some of the Bliss presses. (I think it may have been Federal Mogul or Borg-Warner, but I'm not for sure on that.) At least those probably ended up doing something productive.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4924 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These Die Chips are way too common on the Wheat Cents from the 1950's. The 1950's were a notorious year for extreme die wear as the U.S. Mint would overuse the dies way past their normal life.
Errors And Varietys.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.6 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05