Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help identifying ancient coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Jordan
125 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  10:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ateyat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have this ancient coin can you help me identify it and is it important and how much does this worth.

Pillar of the Community
United States
916 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  01:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biancasdad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A Ptolemaic Kingdom coin.

Size and weight would be helpful for a specific ID.

Here is a nice site to browse in the meantime

http://ptolemybronze.com/
Valued Member
Jordan
125 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  05:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ateyat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you for replying
the size is about 3.4cm
weight is about 32.43 grams
Learn More...
United States
21706 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  07:52 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe your coin is Ptolemy III Tyre Club series 5, Svoronos 706. However I don't believe the delta control mark was used. Can you verify the size and weight again?
Valued Member
Jordan
125 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  08:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ateyat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the weight 32.5 grams
size is 3.4 cm
maybe the weight differs because its not cleaned
Pillar of the Community
United States
2913 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  08:35 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DO NOT CLEAN IT !!

Unless you are sure you know what you are doing !
Many ancient coins are skinned down to the bones by well intentioned owners thinking they will make the coin "like new".
Your coin has a thick black layer of oxidation on it.
The soil deposits can be safely removed by soaking in distilled water and brushing with a hard toothbrush.
Do no more than that if the urge to "improve" your coin becomes impossible to resist
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Valued Member
Jordan
125 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ateyat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you for the information
sure I will not clean it.
Valued Member
Jordan
125 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ateyat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any information how much does it worth
Learn More...
United States
21706 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We really don't like to guess what a coin is worth, but I wouldn't pay more than $80-$90 because of the edge damage.
Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Club left and ΔI between legs would be Svoronos 1130, Ptolemy IV, 221-204 BC.

Edited by Kushanshah
05/17/2018 4:42 pm
Learn More...
United States
21706 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I missed seeing the "I" time for new glasses.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8454 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin @ateyat!
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
Jordan
125 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ateyat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@spence Thank you
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.71 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05