Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Rolls or bags from the mint? or both?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
12 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  11:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Soho to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There's a stiffer premium on rolls direct from mint, than bags. But am I likely to find any better coins in the long run? Or do you just try to find a bank that has them at face without the premium and suffer the circulation?
Edited by Soho
05/17/2018 12:35 am
Learn More...
United States
13320 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  12:41 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are talking general circulation coins, I think the mint only has bags of coins and those bags are big enough to require a fork-truck to lift. If circulation coins are rolled or in small bags, its done by a third party.

Nevermind, checked the mint's site and they do sell bags.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8131 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  02:09 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But am I likely to find any better coins in the long run? Or do you just try to find a bank that has them at face without the premium and suffer the circulation?

Just because you get rolled coins from a bank doesn't mean they have seen circulation. Those bags have to go somewhere and they end up in the hands of a company like Brinks which puts them into rolls and boxes and, subsequently, sells them to banks. Those coins have never seen circulation.
"Baseball gets you out in the fresh air and keeps you from talking about your neighbors."
-Lib Dooley

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8948 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Banks are you best bet .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Valued Member
United States
94 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2018  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Go to the largest bank in your area where they'll like have "Federal Rolls" in stock. They will be genuine and likely to be not too marked up. Good news is that you are buying them at face value so anything you don't use, you'll get to spend elsewhere. My experience has been to buy at minimum 5 to 10 rolls as sometimes it takes that many rolls to find several really clean coins. The Mint, the Fed, or whomever wrapped the coins can be pretty rough on them during handling so just because you have a Fed roll doesn't mean all are MS67s and MS68s.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3495 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2018  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What exactly is a 'Fed roll?' I've been hunting since the 70's, been through hundreds of thousands in rolled coin, and have never found one.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...reluctantly

Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Valued Member
United States
94 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2018  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
During the 70's and 80's when I was young and spent my minimum wage earnings at the local bank, I would order penny rolls directly from the Federal Reserve; however, it had to be ordered through the bank. I later learned that only the large banks supported this and back then, I grew up and worked nearby to a large bank, I thought that was how you get rolls -- it all seemed normal to me. I've been out of collecting for nearly 30 years and know much has changed. This year I'm into nickels... Two weeks ago I was at a Wells Fargo branch in Pennington NJ dumping 2,000 nickels (that I rolled) for deposit and the local manager asked me about them. We had a good laugh as that was an unusual deposit. She said in her 30 years at the bank, she has been collecting quarter rolls and she referred to them as Fed Rolls. I didn't realize you can still order Fed Rolls. My little bit of recent research shows that the large banks can make special orders to Fed Reserve but that the orders are not always fulfilled. If somebody knows the details on this, it would be an interesting conversation to discuss. I'm heading back to that same branch next week with 4,000 nickels and intend to strike up another conversation with the manager. I'll ask about her reference to Fed Rolls to see if she still places orders for them.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8131 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2018  02:14 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I may be wrong, but anything coming out of the U.S. Mint pre-rolled is meant for collectors and is being sold at a premium price. The "Fed" has nothing to do with any of this.

Coins meant for general circulation are collected in huge bags at the Mint requiring, as said, machinery to lift and move and that is how they leave the Mint. The small bags that the Mint offers is sold at a substantial premium.

We are comparing two very different levels of service here.
"Baseball gets you out in the fresh air and keeps you from talking about your neighbors."
-Lib Dooley

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Valued Member
United States
94 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2018  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll have an update for you all next week after I speak to this one particular bank manager who says she collects "Fed Reserve" quarter rolls at face value. I'll share the facts as I personally have not picked up coin rolls from a bank since the 1980s. All of my coin rolls I buy now are from people advertising on the Internet and pay around double face value per roll depending on year, sometimes more. My interest is 1960s 70s and 80s, not 2018 so let me just close my pie hole and wait till I know details mid to late next week.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05