Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

ICCS time to join the 20th century

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
Canada
706 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2018  12:21 pm Show Profile   Check JeyRey2000's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add JeyRey2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The question is when is someone going to advance ICCS to the 20th (21st century for those who dont like sarcasm) century and get them a website and online pop report and some other tools. I see more and more folks turning to PCGS as a standard for high grade and rare coins.

Is this due to ICCS lack of technology or accuracy of grading?
Edited by JeyRey2000
05/22/2018 12:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1634 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2018  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As we're now firmly in the 21st Century, it's probably not too much ask them to become part of the 20th.
Remember, what the Dormouse said.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
706 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2018  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Check JeyRey2000's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JeyRey2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There was a little sarcasm in the date! But truly wonder why they haven't update at all with the technology.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1100 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2018  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shotgung to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Easy there nfine ;)
Valued Member
Canada
260 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2018  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I send all my coins to PCGS, fully traceable through the whole process,great website etc.
I can't understand how ICCS is still the Canadian Standard for grading Canadian coins in this day and age without any web presence, and sporadic POP reports and all the other problems that have been discussed on Coin Community in the past.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30224 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2018  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Everything about ICCS seems to be circa 1980.
Valued Member
Canada
231 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2018  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One question I have about ICCS is their reliance on soft plastic flips. I saw a proof Selectively gold plated SD in a ICCS plastic flip. I don't use soft plastic flips for SDs at any level, they are too heavy and the risk of dings through the plastic is too high; unless I completely misunderstand the technology.

Further, with age, the flips break and/or tear so they will inevitably need a reholder at some time but that allows for the potential for post grading environmental damage that the holder is supposed to protect against.

They may be fine for pennies, nickels, silver 5c and dimes but I think coins from a half dollar up, especially if there is an embellishment such as plating or colourization, the soft plastic flip is poorly matched. I wouldn't want to see a Ladybird $20 graded & slabbed by ICCS... then again, they probably wouldn't want to see one either.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4144 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2018  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the customer base keeps using them, why change, anything bigger than a 25 cent doesn't really do well in soft flips
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1310 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2018  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ICCS is a good example of not changing with the times and now are being left behind and forgotten like anything in life.

I agree PCGS is the way to go with the new gold seal hard slabs
Valued Member
Canada
231 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2018  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To be honest, the biggest impediment to PCGS and NGC for me is the fact they don't have a Canadian presence. I ship too much stuff across the border and understand the arbitrary and capricious habits of customs agents on both sides too well to risk the attribution of duties and taxes on items that are bought and paid for here in Canada and will be returning.

If either PCGS or NGC were to open a Canadian facility, or offer a Canadian bonded address for shipping, ICCS would be dust in months for the reasons listed above.
Valued Member
Canada
68 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2018  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CalmBud to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am new to numismania but I agree w vonighcr
Valued Member
Canada
173 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2018  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wish ICCS did hard holders. I asked them why they don't and they said the cost to develop one is too high. However CCCS has hard holders and a website. No one seems to talk much about them though. I agree with previous posts about ICCS needing to jump into this century. I do like that I can go to their office and hand deliver and pick up my items rather than mail them across border. It is understandable why people seem more inclined to go to PCGS now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
738 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2018  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also, let us not forget that, although the PCGS grade guarantee isn't perfect, ICCS has none - zero, zippo, nada liability about the grade opinion for which you have paid them.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7253 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2018  01:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You get what you pay for.
It's that basic.
You don't get a 21st century product or service for 1970's prices.

"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
05/23/2018 01:43 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2081 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2018  04:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, CCCS was the new boy on the block 5-6 years ago, and were initially accepted by many collectors because they would certify varieties and errors. However, they certified coins that they shouldn't have certified by, essentially, putting whatever the owner wanted on the certs .. and they were incorrect or misattributed. They cert'd some counterfeits and various other nubeous items and it got them into trouble. Maybe it was the quality/knowledge of the graders or maybe it was the mentality of the company .. but many collectors have shied away from them. However, a feather in their cap for their holders and website for tracking. Maybe ICCS and CCCS should merge. Louis at CCCS was/is a nice guy .. they just made some mis-steps that got them into trouble with acceptance.
Learn More...
Canada
8155 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2018  11:57 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The lion's share of ICCS's business comes from coin dealers. Dealers love the bulk submission prices. Even Chuck Moore used ICCS for Langdon and Victoria North collections for his last auction, because it was cheap and easy to do so...

So, as long as most Canadian dealers use ICCS, they will not be concerned what the majority of Canadian collectors will be doing...

Their business model is simple, and it still makes them money - "If it is not broken, why fix it".
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05