Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1844 Quarter Eagle Any Thoughts?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
900 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2018  8:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Potbellypub to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have the chance to buy this coin it has been in a friends possesion for 20 odd years. I would like for the experts to look at this and see if you see any red flags. The weight is correct and the gold tests reallbut it hasn't been authenticated by a TPG. Has anyone heard of or seen any franklin mint reproductions or any other reproductions of this coin? Any info would be greatly appreciated. The guy that has the coin found it in his deceased brothers house when he was cleaning it out. And he doesn't know where or when he got it.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2018  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Strange circulation patterns, denticles pretty messy.

I wouldn't buy this one myself.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2429 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2018  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only thing I see of concern is the denticles around the date look like dots. I would recommend that you make your deal with your friend and send the coin in for grading. If the coins will not grade because of questionable authenticity, you get your money back.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1382 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2018  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The strike seems unusually strong and clunky. Maybe it's just the shadows.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4304 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2018  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've never seen the surfaces on a gold coin look that dull.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
900 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2018  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Potbellypub to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your thoughts I want to have an xrf done on this first and then send it to a TPG if it comes back correct. We'll see how this progresses I will keep you posted.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
592 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2018  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add turingmach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a closeup comparison of the dates of a Chinese counterfeit (top), the coin in question (middle), and a real 1844 Quarter Eagle (bottom).

Without a doubt, it is fake.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2429 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2018  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good work turingmach.

The counterfeit coin is not worth sending into a TPG. It would be interesting to know what metal the coin is made from. If you use a XRF, please post a follow up.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2018  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a fake. Definitely do not buy it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7571 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2018  12:56 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Worth $2.18 apiece, all you wanna buy.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
2429 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2018  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The no no site lists the coin as gold plated. My guess the base metal is tungsten as it has almost the same density as gold. Tungsten sells for less than $20 a pound that would enable the seller to sell them at $2.18 each. If the fake gold coin base metal is tungsten, weighing the counterfeit gold coin has little value.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42658 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2018  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That "die chip" below the date is the tell, for sure. Good work, turingmach.
Pillar of the Community
United States
900 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2018  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Potbellypub to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You all are awesome! I had a few red flags myself the date the denticles and the shield on the reverse looked a little substandard but I don't have the knowledge you all do. I looked for a fake online for comparison but was unable to find one turingmachs side by side definitely sealed the fate. The die scratch is unmistakable.i am glad it helped get another fake off the market. Again thank you all for your input.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05