Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do Cleaned Gold Coins Have Any Numismatic Value?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
312 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2018  12:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sharkman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
We found a 1912 gold type set among my father in law's possessions after he passed away. The coins look nice, but they were encased in a cheap plastic holder inconsistent with coins of this value. I saw nothing obviously wrong with them, but thought that based on the unimpressive presentation, there might be something wrong with them, and I suspected cleaning.
I took them to a dealer who confirmed my concerns and told me they had no numismatic value beyond the value of their gold content. This is,of course disappointing, I do see cleaned coIns selling from time to time, and , albeit at a substantial discount.
The coins do not look bad. Even under magnification I have neither the skill nor the eye to see anything that makes the coins unattractive. I have no intention of selling them for scrap, as they are my only examples of these types, and they are interesting and attractive to me, at least. The double eagle has a rather low mintage of a little over 100,000, and is therefore somewhat scarce.
Do I have anything worthwhile here, or should I just keep them as a remembrance of a man I cared deeply for, and as items in my collection that are otherwise unrepresented?
I have no present desire to sell them, but would like to know if they have any meaningful numismatic value.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30485 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2018  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Pics of the coin would be needed. If the retail value of the coin is justified after slabbing,it might be worth having said coin "conserved" by the TPG.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
240 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2018  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmwilson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't matter if they don't look bad (which is subjective). If they looked cleaned (because they've been cleaned) ... then you likely have coins of bullion/melt value. There might be exceptions with a truly rare date, but even its value will be reduced significantly because of the cleaning.

At least you weren't the one that ruined the coins!

A few years ago, I heard about a widow that turned $85,000 - $90,000 of numismatic value coins into a pile of silver worth less than $14,000 at this time (at today's prices ... that would be about $6,000 - $7,000). She even kept the PCGS grade slips from the holders she broke open before buffing each coin until it looked like silverware. She got mad at the coin dealer when he tried to explain. She was convinced he was trying to rip her off. She really thought she had made the coins worth even more by cleaning them.

Edited by jmwilson
05/24/2018 12:31 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2018  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Their historic and sentimental value make them unique.

If I were you I'd contact the conservation arm of the NGC and see if they can restore them.

The good news is - gold is by far the easiest to conserve.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2436 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2018  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, cleaned gold can have more value than the spot price of gold. Post a photo of both sides of your double eagle in the grading forum. Once you know the grade, you can find like cleaned examples that have sold in TGP holders. This will allow you to assign a value to the coin.
Edited by Slider23
05/24/2018 12:48 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42931 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2018  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3552 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2018  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the Forum!

Edit:
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Edited by chafemasterj
05/24/2018 4:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2018  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with Coinfrog and Slider.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7892 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2018  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the coin is a better date, it will still have a premium over melt if it has been cleaned.

However, most of the common stuff will only be worth melt
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16021 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2018  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know gold well, but I know even uncleaned most US gold isn't worth much more than melt unless they are truly RARE dates, or HIGH MS grades. Especially to a dealer that is going to have to try and resell it for a profit. There just aren't enough collectors of gold. Hoarders, maybe type collectors, but not date and mint collectors and that is what you need for numismatic premium value. With such a small number of collector there are enough of all but the rarest date and mint coins to go around so everyone can have one.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11339 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2018  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05