Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is Thish 1916-S $5 Gold Indian Head Authentic?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 797Next Topic  
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2018  9:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MaxVCad to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Got this on eBay for $385, only $70 over spot. My scale reads to the nearest full gram and it came out to 8 grams, also seems to be pretty much 21.6 mm on the nose. I tried to get a pic of the mint mark. It's there but pretty worn. It does look like the right font to me though. The coin also seems to have a lot of detail as it should. What do you guys think?

Pillar of the Community
United States
9412 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2018  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see an "S"?

P.S. If there is a heavily worn S there the price you paid is a fair, market correct value.
ANA #R3154474
Edited by BH1964
05/30/2018 9:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2018  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your coin is worn on the high points and can't tell exactly from the pictures but quite possibly has been cleaned. Let others chime in. $385 is about average for a worn coin but if it has been cleaned that would worry me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5459 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2018  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Genuine and cleaned.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2667 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2018  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin would grade VF 30/35. The color is off, but it could be your photos. One thing that would concern me about the coin is the field marks are not consistent with with a VF grade as the field marks look more like an AU or MS coin. You are not getting a bargain because you are buying this coin raw. I would would rather purchase an AU55 PCGS or NGC for around $500 as I would get more coin details and much more likely to get a genuine example. I would recommend that you do not buy raw gold coins on eBay as there are so many gold counterfeits. Return the coin and start hunting for a AU53 or AU55 in plastic.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 797Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05