Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need help identifying 1941 Nickel with an Anchor and US on it  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2018  11:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mountaindeer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi. I found this nickel around 2009. Its a 1941 with an anchor and US put on both sides. The obverse side has the anchor but the bottom half of the letters didn't come thru. I'll keep it regardless because it's one of my favorites but is it worth anything or related to the navy? Thanks

Added obverse sorry for bad pics on mobile.
Edited by Mountaindeer
06/04/2018 12:02 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
8825 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2018  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a counterstamp, in the rough shape of the US Navy Emblem. No telling what it really represents and who may have done it, WW2 serviceman perhaps?

There are those who do collect counterstamped coins, especially if themed as WW2, Military and USN. Maybe you could start a counterstamp collection?

BTW, to the forum!

Edited by Crazyb0
06/03/2018 11:28 pm
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2018  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mountaindeer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the welcome and info. I would like to imagine it was made by a sailor before shipping out to ww2 but like you said its hard to know when and why someone made it. I like the way it looks and the date. I'd really like to get a hobo Buffalo nickel like some of the ones I've seen on this forum.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15559 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Nice find. That's a counterstamp I've never seen, but there are tens of thousands of different ones known.

Good luck with the Buffalo. They are also an amazing historical association piece that you can own for a modest price.
Learn More...
United States
58002 Posts
Valued Member
United States
165 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've never seen that one either but I like it. I can see why it's a favorite of yours. Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3882 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2266 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bear with me here. That stamp looked familiar at first but I couldn’t place it. I was in the Marine Corps stationed at a Naval Air Station. Mind you this was more recent than your coin, 1989-1990ish. One day I was with either a civilian or active duty guy that took care of maintenance around the base. He had to replace a padlock that someone had messed with. We stopped at his shop, he grabs a lock, sets it on his workbench and WHAM. Hits it with a 2 lb sledge and a stamp. From my memory the stamp looked very similar to yours, just a little bigger maybe. After he scared the crap out of me by stamping while I wasn’t looking I remember him saying something to the effect of,”If you think that was loud you should hear when I stamp the…” I don’t remember.

So I think stamps like this were used to stamp items that the Navy wanted to identify as theirs. Be it a lock or piece of equipment. Thought I’d share my story. Hope it gave some insight.

Edit: By the way. Welcome to the Forum! You’ve come to a great place to share and learn.
http://goccf.com/t/303774
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Edited by chafemasterj
06/04/2018 1:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6317 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF indeed.

You have received some great input already - your coin is indeed an unusual counter stamp example
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1283 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2018  12:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Searching "US anchor stamp" shows some very close matches, and one related to something about binoculars http://www.company7.com/library/sard_7x50_mk.html had this tidbit:

"Above at Left: U.S. Navy Quartermaster property acceptance stamp of this era, this on the packing carton of our SARD 7x50 Mark XLIV Mod. 0 binocular "

It's interesting to me how care was taken to stamp the circle on your coin right in the center of the obverse and in the center of Montecello's dome on the reverse. Given what @chafemasterj says, you'd have to presume this was a Quartermaster's stamp used on a nickel during the WWII era. Very cool.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8365 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2018  12:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool find indeed! to CCF!
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  12:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TatWadjet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Soooo Weird, I just registered today to show you this....

SO I wonder what the other markings mean? The "F" in the shield & the numbers?
Edited by TatWadjet
07/05/2018 12:48 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16673 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Some collect those but I just consider them all a damaged coins.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
58002 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Soooo Weird, I just registered today to show you this....
to the Community!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1540 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
SO I wonder what the other markings mean? The "F" in the shield & the numbers?

The "F" in the shield is the Firestone Tire and Rubber Company logo.
Remember, what the Dormouse said.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8270 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice counterstamp! It also carries very important history behind it as well. I would keep it.
Errors and Varietys.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05