Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Understanding Rarity - 1960 Dime

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
166 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2018  11:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add twoods to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello All,

I hope everyone is doing well. I am looking for some thoughts regarding rarity and would appreciate any comments.

I collect high grade 1937 - 1967 Canadian Dimes and noticed that the 1960 dime in MS-66 has far fewer ICCS certifications in this grade than other dimes from the late 50s and early 60s.

I am curious why the 1960 dime in MS-66 has so few high grade certifications despite the fact it had huge mintage numbers (approximately 45 million). Were these coins not produced in high grade to begin with, were they packaged differently by the mint, or did not many survive for some reason when compared to other dimes of the era?

Thank you for any thoughts and information that can be provided!

Valued Member
Canada
173 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2018  07:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add skelly423 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't collect dimes so I'm only speculating, but a lot of 1960s silver is considered quite common. I'm guessing a 1960 dime in MS-64 sells for approximately melt value, where an MS-65 may have a small premimum. In either case, the resale value won't justify the cost of submitting the coin for grading.

I'm of the opinion that there are plenty of high grade 1960 dimes out there in 2x2 holders, and they'll come out of the woodwork when the price justifies the cost of grading. It may still be the rarest of the late 50s - early 60s era, but I think there are probably lots out there in private hands.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7217 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2018  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You've encountered what we call "grade rarity".
We can only speculate as to the cause for 1960 dimes,but it is a fact.
In PCGS holders 1960 is the only year in your range for which no coin has been graded higher than MS65. A PCGS graded MS66 would be the finest known and thus quite desirable and valuable.

"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7217 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2018  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FIBU I would latch onto the nicest ICCS MS66 you can find. By the parameters of your collection you are headed for registry set material where a PCGS MS66 would be a trump.

"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Valued Member
Canada
166 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2018  12:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twoods to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the replies, lots of good info...also, what does anyone know what FIBU stands for in DBM's reply?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2043 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2018  04:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would be very careful about certifying (or buying certified) ANY silver from the 50's & 60's, as the cost of certification would be more than the coin would ever be worth, regardless the grade. When you look at POP reports, very common dates/denominations give you a false sense of scarcity .. only because people don't want/need to certify them because of the difference between cost and value. It's supply and demand .. if there are 100+ 1960 dimes out there 66 or better and only 10 collectors of registry stuff, what do you think the price premium would be?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05