Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1984 Prospector Eagle Reverse. Fake?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  03:20 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Amh06 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good day, I received my very first Engelhard Prospector in the mail yesterday. I have to say, it looks fake to me. It weighs out at 31.2g. I am heading to pick up calipers. Besides acid test, what else can I do?

Perhaps you can help? All the fakes look super fake, but I can't find any info on fake Eagle Reverse Prospectors. Seems the big E is easier to fake or something?

Here it is! Thank you!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2321 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  07:39 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not an expert but it appears to be genuine to me. As best I can zoom in, compare to another and inspect, I think you're okay. Looking forward to what the pros have to say.
http://goccf.com/t/303774
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
1937 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Connor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This appears to be genuine to me as well based off of your pictures. What about it looks fake to you?
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Amh06 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a 1984 and it is pretty immaculate, which I just thought was curious. I've compared it to others online, it looks preet darn close to the real thing. The thing is that it's a slightly bigger round than, say, a libertad. So, the sound is a bit different when I ping.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No indication of it being a counterfeit from photos provided. There are 2000 year old coins that are nearly perfect. A bright 30+ year old coin is nothing to worry about.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2018  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rte592 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I check out everything with a strong magnet and a whites metal detector that has a good meter.
Check out allengelhard.com, it's the guru site for all engelhardt and they have a counterfeit section.
Valued Member
Canada
83 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2018  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NorthWestInvest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Amh06. These typically are in great condition despite being from the 80s because they are collector coins not circulation coins. The counterfeits are almost like a proof-like finish and are super reflective. Yours does not appear to have the same features of a counterfeit. This is a known counterfeit coin (different reverse but same obverse)
Valued Member
Canada
83 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2018  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NorthWestInvest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also note that the waterlines on your coin doesn't look like poorly struck dead fish as seen on the counterfeit. Don't compare the water pouring out of the bucket either, it may make you COL (Chuckle out loud)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05