Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is this National Bank Note authentic? And other questions...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  4:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NumismaticExpert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am unsure of the authenticity of this banknote and would like to hear your opinions. If you believe it is authentic, is it worth sending in for grading? Lastly, what is its value?

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
410 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Need better pics...
ANA Member
Mark
Official Snowbird!
Illinois in Summer, Florida in Winter
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticExpert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticExpert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticExpert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry about the small photos.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4341 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks authentic to me.

The serial number is 294 sheets higher than one sold on Lyn Knight back in 2003. That note had bank serial (lower left under Harrison's portrait) of 11058 and Treasury serial number B576704E

As to sending in for grading, that your call. I haven't certified any that I own but have bought others that were already certified.

Lyn Knight sold a VG-F example in 2015 for $826. Before 2015, examples sold for between $258 and $500 in this grade range.

I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28786 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the Paper Money Forum!
Learn More...
United States
61281 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
564 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  02:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Groszy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But the ones that sold at auction...were they unissued remainders or did they have signatures?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1297 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  06:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurrency Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice note. Carefully bend the folds back and get it in a holder.

KK
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4341 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But the ones that sold at auction...were they unissued remainders or did they have signatures?

There is no such thing as un-issued remainders when it comes to national bank notes.

From the start, the notes were shipped to the banks without officers' signatures. When the officers signed the notes they were cut apart and placed in circulation.

If the notes were stolen in transit from DC to the bank, the unsigned notes could be declared stolen.

Bankers signed some notes and hired people to sign their notes. Others used rubber hand stamps. Often seen for larger banks, in Series 1902 notes the signatures were added directly to the printing plate.

For some unknown reason, at least to me, Series 1902 notes suffer from faint or missing signatures. The rubber stamped signatures fade easily. Certain pen signed notes appear weak while others don't.

Heritage Auction archives has, one with strong pen signed signatures, one with strong stamped signatures and faded/missing signatures.

-MV
I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Edited by MeadowviewCollector
06/25/2018 6:57 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.71 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05