Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opinions On Submitting To Cac?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
543 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2018  7:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am considering submitting a few coins but am not sure what makes a good candidate. I have a few slabbed coins but would like to know if they are worth submitting. I have recently posted some of the coins and would like to hear your thoughts. Some of the coins I am considering are
1846 Horizontal 6 Halfhttp://goccf.com/t/307308 VF30
1840 Half http://goccf.com/t/313687 XF40
1866 S No Motto http://goccf.com/t/289962 VG10
1851 O Half http://goccf.com/t/319734&whichpage...4352#2724352 VF20
1860 O half dime http://goccf.com/t/287021&whichpage...1545#2491545 AU58
1828 Half Cent http://goccf.com/t/288847&whichpage...1543#2491543 AU55
1850 Half Dollar http://goccf.com/t/286865&whichpage...9147#2469147 XF40
Edited by Heymikep
06/18/2018 7:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2415 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2018  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Submitting coins to CAC can be a learning experience to make you a better buyer of coins. The best candidates to get CAC approval have original surfaces with eye appear, no distracting scratches, marks or dings, and high end of the grade. There is a lot of negativity about CAC, but it is not easy to submit coins and get the green or gold sticker. Submit your best two or three from your list and see how you do.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12472 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2018  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Collectors don't get charged for coins that don't sticker. Submit the group and use it as a learning experience. It's hard to say what would or wouldn't with how dependent the opinion is on picture accuracy and quality. That said don't be surprised with a very low approval rate
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2018  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

You want to submit coins that have original surfaces, no large dings or scratches, and a coin that appears to be exceptional for its grade. Just my opinion, but I think the 1828 Half Cent and 1850 seated half have the best shot at CAC.
Edited by SilverDollar2017
06/18/2018 8:23 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17516 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2018  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CAC rightly takes eye appeal into a final opinion, which is wise. A coin can be a 65 with irrpy toning or a magnificent beauty with bullseye tone. It's hard for many to understand but the grades assigned by PCGS and NGC are rarely affected by strike (which is the reason for all the post numeric assignments) or eye appeal. The exception being NGC which awards stars for drop dead gorgeous.

1846 Horizontal 6 Halfhttp: No
1840 Half Yes
1866 S No Motto No
1860 O half dime No
1828 Half Cent Yes
1850 Half Dollar No

Keep in mind that when we are granting an opinion from fixed photos we can't judge as we could with coin in hand. Even if you are inexperienced always use your gut feeling as you develop you grading wings. If it looks special to you, CAC is worth a shot.

BEST OF LUCK and let us know how you do.
Edited by moxking
06/18/2018 8:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2018  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not so sure there is no charge if the coin doesn't bean. They say there is no charge for collectors but only designated dealers can submit coins to CAC these days. I sent an sld in through a dealer and luckily it beaned, but I could have sworn he said it's $20 per coin regardless of whether it beans or not.

Need more clarification on that.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Edited by MikeF
06/18/2018 10:27 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12472 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2018  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
. I'm not so sure there is no charge if the coin doesn't bean. They say there is no charge for collectors but only designated dealers can submit coins to CAC these days.

100 percent false only dealers can submit to CAC.

There is no charge for collectors for coins that do no sticker

Quote:
I sent an sld in through a dealer and luckily it beaned, but I could have sworn he said it's $20 per coin regardless of whether it beans or not.

Dealers pay for everything they send. IF he was charging $20 he was either charging you for shipping or making money off of it
Edited by basebal21
06/18/2018 10:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9200 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2018  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When did CAC switch to dealer submissions only? I haven't submitted this year but still receive their correspondence on submissions and I am a Collector/Submitter.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9200 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2018  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's hard for many to understand but the grades assigned by PCGS and NGC are rarely affected by strike (which is the reason for all the post numeric assignments) or eye appeal.

This is false. Strike and eye appeal and always part of the grade on Mint State coins and often taken into account on AU pieces as well. Below AU strike and eye appeal are a lesser factor.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2018  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12472 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2018  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
. When did CAC switch to dealer submissions only? I haven't submitted this year but still receive their correspondence on submissions and I am a Collector/Submitter.

They didn't. That's just bad information being posted
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2018  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is the information on their website incorrect and outdated? It's had that information on that page for atleast a year. http://www.caccoin.com/how-to-submi...memberships/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1249 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2018  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Regardless of price, I would hold off submitting to CAC for the time being. They seem extra strict at the moment and I've spoken to several well known and respected dealers who seem a bit frustrated. I'm personally holding off until things improve. I've had some real gems (Early type) not get a sticker. If you submit at a bad time and it doesn't sticker then you likely won't ever get a sticker for that coin unless they change their policy or you can make a great case for it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12472 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2018  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
. Is the information on their website incorrect and outdated? It's had that information on that page for atleast a year. http://www.caccoin.com/how-to-submi...memberships/

It's said that for 6 years or so.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12472 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2018  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
. Regardless of price, I would hold off submitting to CAC for the time being. They seem extra strict at the moment and I've spoken to several well known and respected dealers who seem a bit frustrated. I'm personally holding off until things improve.

Definitely agree with this. My last one this year was far worse than I expected and I had never been that off in the past 4 years or so.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2018  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's said that for 6 years or so.

Good god! You would think the guy would at least update his website, umm, I don't know... at least every half decade!

Well heck then. I've got more coins to submit. I'll call him tomorrow. Unbelievable!! It doesn't sound like he's on the stick.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.85 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05