Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Fifth Edition! We Need - 1460 C. E. (A. H. 864) -

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5,249 / Views: 191,456Next Topic
Page: of 350
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8837 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2019  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1491 (AH 896) -- Delhi Sultinate, 1 tanka:

Learn More...
United States
16689 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2019  05:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice work @pep! 1491 is the first hole in my OFEY collection.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3627 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2019  06:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only have 5 more, so I am pretty sparse across the 1480s and 1470s (if we get there), then done.
@pepactonius, thx for the tip on the 1480 Brabant, but as you say, the date area is pretty weak. I need to spend more time looking on MA shops... I noticed quite a few early dated Austria coins over there, some not very pricey. Must be dates some of you already have?
Learn More...
United States
16689 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2019  06:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tdz, here is a protip: if you use the keyword LEVINSON on ma-shops, you will capture 90+% of the auctions with early dated coins.
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
16689 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2019  05:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Körtling from the German City of Göttingen dated AD 1490:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
16689 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  05:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an undated Hungarian Denar that was struck in AD 1489 (Huszar 722A; Frynas H.34.40):

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3627 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  05:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
if you use the keyword LEVINSON on ma-shops, you will capture 90+% of the auctions with early dated coins

Thanks! Though it's a dangerous suggestion for someone who has already spent too much on coins this year

For today I have a Brabant 1489 gros /groot, Antwerp mint (letter A at center of cross reverse), interesting for being issued jointly in the name of Philip the Fair (obverse legend) and his father, Maximilian (reverse legend), as Philip was only 11 years old and Maximilian was acting as regent.

As I have read deWitte's account of pre-1500 coins of Brabant, I am struck by the very high mintages. There were over 2.2 million of this type struck between early 1490 and early 1492. I believe they bore a date of either 1489 or 1490, or were undated. He mentions 1489 and undated, but 1490 is also known.
Edited by tdziemia
12/05/2019 4:38 pm
Learn More...
United States
16689 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one @tdz!

I also can post this Schilling from the German Duchy of Pomerania (Garz mint) dated AD 1489:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
16689 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  06:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Half Stuiver from the Netherlands City State of Nijmegen dated AD 1488. After today, I hit another stop.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8837 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  07:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fortunately, I've got a 1487 from the Delhi Sultinate for tomorrow.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3627 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll post something tomorrow for adjudication by the How Far Back judges.

It won't matter since @pepactonius will move us back.

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3139 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a coin for tomorrow too - it almost definitely isn't eligible for advancement, but, again, this shouldn't matter.
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
2892 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petrus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
County of Flanders
Philip the Fair 1482-1506
double mite
no date : 1488-89
mint: Mechelen (Malines)
+ PHS.DEI.GRATIA.DUX.CO.FL
PHILIPPUS DEI GRATIA DUX COMES FLANDRIĆ
Philip, by the grace of God, duke of the county of Flanders
IN.DOMINO.CONFIDI
trust in god

Literature: Van Gelder / Hoc 153a

Edited by Petrus
12/06/2019 6:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8837 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  06:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1487 (892 AH) -- Delhi Sultanate, 1 tanka:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3627 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  06:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll post something tomorrow for adjudication

It turns out I made a mistake.
The coin posted below is an undated Brabant griffon (valued at 5 gros/groots despite being quite debased), 1487-88, de Witte 561. This type was struck at the Antwerp mint between July 5, 1487 and June 3 1488 (less than a year, of which the majority was in 1487), and at Malines between July 5, 1487 and November 19, 1488.

I think the Antwerp coin would have qualified for moving the thread, but mine is from Malines . Still, an interesting coin that we don' see often out here (same can be said for @petrus coin posted yesterday). The double griffon is dated, but quite rare

Page: of 350 Previous TopicReplies: 5,249 / Views: 191,456Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05