Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Fifth Edition! We Need - 1460 C. E. (A. H. 864) -

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 349
Learn More...
United States
81089 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14553 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2019  05:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Kreutzer from the Austrian Duchy of Vienna dated AD 1484:

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Belgium
2889 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2019  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petrus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am waiting for 1474!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14553 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am waiting for 1474!

Right around Christmastime!

In the meanwhile, here is another Austrian Kreutzer--except this one dates to AD 1483 and was minted in Graz:

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7270 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1482 -- Electorate of Saxony / Margraviate of Meissen / Zwickau-Schneeberg, 1/2 schwertgroschen:

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14553 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  05:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That Half Schwertgroschen is in super condition @pep!

Here is mine:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2868 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  07:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That Half Schwertgroschen is in super condition @pep!

Thanks for carrying us through the early 1480s! I'll be able to contribute again in a few days. Also, just won a 1493 Pomerania coin for next time through.
Learn More...
United States
81089 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2922 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
...We should probably notify @Collects82 again (if they're still around - I don't recall offhand), and, if needed, wait for a few hours before posting the 1481 coins, to give them some time to show up.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7270 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Also, just won a 1493 Pomerania coin for next time through.

I also recently picked up a coin from the Duchy of Pomerania (1496). Note that the 1473 from Juanpur Sultinate still hasn't arrived in the mail.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14553 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2019  04:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Double Briquet from the Netherlands Duchy of Brabant (Antwerp mint) dated AD 1481:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2868 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2019  06:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice one! I think we have a few more on tap over the next week.

The coin was issued during the reign of Marie of Burgundy as Duchess of Burgundy, Brabant & Limbourg. Marie inherited the crown from her father, Charles the Bold, who died in battle against Rene II of Lorraine, at the battle of Nancy in January 1477 (an intersection of two of my collecting themes!). Just turned 20, Marie was as yet unmarried, as her father had used her marriageworthiness as a tool for political leverage. First forced to cede certain liberties to the Low Country states to gain their support (Brabant, Flanders, Holland), then fending off pressure to marry into the French royal family, she married Maximilian, Archduke of Austria later in 1477, paving the way for a Burgundy-Hapsburg union in the figure of her son Philip, who was born 11 months later.
She was the sixth and last ruler of the Low Countries from House of Burgundy. She died tragically from a fall from her horse while hunting in 1482.
I could not find a painting of her from life, (though I assume one exists), but this one is from 1490, so the painter may have seen an image painted while she was still alive

Edited by tdziemia
12/17/2019 08:03 am
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2019  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gallienus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is a Double Briquet from the Netherlands Duchy of Brabant (Antwerp mint) dated AD 1481:

Very nice coin Spence. I'm guessing these coins are in the 6 gram range? Also a wonderful 4 digit date, a little confusing to some until one realizes that "the open bottomed 8" was the way of writing a "4" in the middle ages: up until around 1500 or so.

Quote:
The coin was issued during the reign of Marie of Burgundy as Duchess of Burgundy, Brabant & Limbourg. Marie inherited the crown from her father, Charles the Bold, who died in battle against Rene II of Lorraine, at the battle of Nancy in January 1477 (an intersection of two of my collecting themes!)

Thanks for the history Tdziemia. One of my first source books for thalers was this large red HB book entitled something like "Thalers: 1477 - 1850" [I'll get the full title when home]. This refers to a marriage thaler or actually a commemorative silver medal in the thaler weight range (30 grams) which supposedly was dated 1477. That coin was actually struck in the 1500's tho but some references still carried it as a 1477 coin.

BTW what are your two collecting themes?

Edited by Gallienus
12/17/2019 09:12 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14553 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2019  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Very nice coin Spence. I'm guessing these coins are in the 6 gram range?

Thx @gallienus for your kind words. Also, very nice job @tdz adding some nice color commentary to this coin. The history helps to provide useful context for the coins.

The weight of this coin is 3.01 g--about half your estimate @gallienus. Likewise, the piece listed in Levinson is 3.06 g. During the last 538 years, some enterprising soul shaved a bit of the silver off of the edge from 9-11 o'clock on the obverse so mine might have started a little heavy, but not 2x.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2868 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2019  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The double briquet was valued at about 4 gros/groot/groats, so at only 3 grams, this shows the state of debasement of the currency at this point in time.
DUring the reigns of Marie and her father Charles, it was the highest mintage coin produced. Nearly 7 million were minted during Marie's reign (1477-82), and nearly 4 million during CHarles' (1474-1477).

@gallienus, I have themes in my collection from the Duchy of Brabant and the Duchy of Lorraine because I have lived in both places (though long after they were duchies . I collect Poland because of my ancestry.
Edited by tdziemia
12/17/2019 6:41 pm
Page: of 349 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05