Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Fifth Edition! We Need - 1460 C. E. (A. H. 864) -

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5,259 / Views: 204,115Next Topic
Page: of 351
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9345 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2019  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1471 -- Archduchy of Austria / Wiener-Neustadt, 1 kreuzer:

Edited by pepactonius
12/27/2019 06:06 am
Learn More...
United States
18178 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2019  05:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine coin from 1471 is pretty similar, albeit with some weakness of the strike:

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4158 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2019  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice sharp dates on both of those!

Just for fun, here is an undated grossone of the Duchy of Ferrara, with date range starting in 1471. Nice renaissance portrait of Duke Hercules I

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9345 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2019  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1470 -- Archduchy of Austria / Wiener-Newstadt, 1 kreuzer:

(Levinson IV-21)

No more coins from me until 1465, which will be my last one for this thread.
Learn More...
United States
18178 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2019  06:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Again, a similar coin to @pep's for me today:

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Edited by Spence
12/28/2019 06:00 am
Learn More...
United States
18178 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  08:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the first in a series of Horngroschens from the German Duchy of Saxony-Wittenberg for me. This one comes from the Leipzig mint and is dated AD 1469:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
94141 Posts
Learn More...
United States
18178 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2019  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This Horngroschen was minted at Freiburg in AD 1468:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
18178 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2019  07:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This Horngroschen was minted at Cassel in AD 1467:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4158 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2019  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great date and eye appeal om that one!

I find it interesting how different principalities appear to have been making different numbers of dated coins as we move through the 15th century (lots from Brabant roughly 1475-1500, and Pomerania 1490s; then parts of Saxony 1460s-1480s, then we move farther west in Germany I think, to Mainz, Frankfurt, Cologne, Aachen all episcopal sees/archbishoprics).
A better student of European history than I am would probably know why.
Learn More...
United States
18178 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  06:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good question @tdz. For sure some of it is just opportunism--buying what comes to auction, although clearly coin with higher surviorship are more likely to come up for sale and coins which were made in more plentiful numbers might have higher survivorship.

For 1466, I'm headed back to Leipzig with this Horngroschen:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9345 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1465 -- Electorate of Saxony / Margraviate of Meissen / Freiberg -- 1 horngroschen:

This is my last coin for this thread. From now on, I'm just a spectator.
Learn More...
United States
18178 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  04:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My Horngroschen for today was minted in Colditz:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Belgium
2895 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  05:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petrus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins to end 2019!
Happy new year to all, a lot of success in coin collecting, and a good health to everybody!
Learn More...
United States
94141 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice coins to end 2019!
Happy new year to all, a lot of success in coin collecting, and a good health to everybody!
Page: of 351 Previous TopicReplies: 5,259 / Views: 204,115Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.18 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05