Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Fifth Edition! We Need - 1460 C. E. (A. H. 864) -

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5,285 / Views: 223,699Next Topic
Page: of 353
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3594 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2021  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Like many colectors my collection is heavy on the 1900s and later 1800s and thins out earlier, generally dying off in the 1600s
I suspect that's pretty typical, yes. I've personally been actively trying to fix my (19th and) 18th century OFEY gaps (though 1844 still evades me, ugh), but even so I don't have a lot of 17th century dates (though I've been working on it), and hardly any 16th century dates.

My next few dates as of the current state of the 6th edition: 1522, 1521, 1517, 1513, 1452?, then nothing until at least the late 14th century.

(To an extent, it's my 14th century Golden Horde coins that I was thinking of when I proposed the new threads for the Ancients subforum. I know of the decade topics, but they're a different thing; I wanted a topic where people could share their Islamic/Byzantine/Sassanian dated coins, without necessarily having to worry about covering all the dates or even all the decades. [Or for that matter about showing up on the exact right day.]
In other words, basically something like the 1st century topic I linked, except with a different date conversion system, and covering a different [and probably larger] time period.
That said, I'm not sure if they should go by 3 or 5 centuries per thread. Possibly even 2 or 4, covering 1-1600 instead of 1-1500.)
Learn More...
United States
105008 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Sixth is closing in on the 15th Century. Meanwhile, the Fifth still needs a 1460 C. E. (A. H. 864).

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5072 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That said, I'm not sure if they should go by 3 or 5 centuries per thread. Possibly even 2 or 4, covering 1-1600 instead of 1-1500.)

How about:
- 5 centuries per thread (1499-1000, 999-500, etc). Or maybe the first one is 1599-1100, etc as suggested by @j1m.
- one week per decade, so each thread lasts a year. Catch up is allowed if late by one decade (other ideas?), since the point is to get some coins out here that we haven't seen before, or haven't seen in a while.
- we differentiate from the Decade thread by keeping the date range for the coin narrower; up to 3 yrs? (5 yrs?)
- and we differentiate from both the Decade thread and How Far Back by keeping moving whether we get a contribution or not.

Edited by tdziemia
06/21/2021 1:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3594 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some comments/suggestions from me...

Quote:
5 centuries per thread (1499-1000, 999-500, etc). Or maybe the first one is 1599-1100, etc as suggested by @j1m.
1600-1101, you mean; there is no year 0.

I suppose that works; there are very few narrowly dated coins prior to 400 BC (in fact we might want a cut-off partway through the 4th century BC), and having a thread for 600-101 AD instead of 500-1 AD avoids the mildly problematic situation of a thread where approximately nothing gets posted in its first two months or so (instead the void gets moved later, when some Byzantine/Sassanian cons would already have been posted).

Quote:
one week per decade, so each thread lasts a year

Quote:
Catch up is allowed if late by one decade (other ideas?), since the point is to get some coins out here that we haven't seen before, or haven't seen in a while.
My suggestion is that catch-up is allowed within any point of the thread in cases where someone has a coin with a 1 year (or less) range from a year that hadn't been previously posted as such, to maximize the amount of single years.

Other than that, either one or two decades of catch-up seems reasonable.

Quote:
we differentiate from the Decade thread by keeping the date range for the coin narrower; up to 3 yrs? (5 yrs?)
The suggestion in the other thread was that we allow any date range, even if over a decade, but post the coin on the earliest year of said range. This would allow some posting in areas where narrowly dated coins are scarce.

I'm not actually sure which direction is better. There will always be a problem of when to post coins that fall across multiple years and/or multiple decades (especially if the later part is also the larger one).

Quote:
and we differentiate from both the Decade thread and How Far Back by keeping moving whether we get a contribution or not.
Learn More...
United States
105008 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2021  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Sixth Edition is moving again and gaining ground!

There is about a month left to get this one deeper...

We Need a coin from 1460 C. E. (A. H. 864)
Page: of 353 Previous TopicReplies: 5,285 / Views: 223,699Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05