Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question About the GSA Dollar Sales of the 70’s and 80’s

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3776 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2018  3:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I remember the GSA Dollar sales of the 1970’s and actually was successful with a few bids with the limited income I had in those days. Orders were always shipped in single boxes with only one coin per box.

The coins I received were shipped in either medium blue or pale yellow boxes with computer generated labels with the address and order number printed on it. Usually, the date of the coin was stamped on the box where the label was to be attached. Over the years, the date has become more visible and in some instances can now be fully seen under the label.

Fast forward almost 40 years and I now see what appears to be brand new, white, unopened GSA dollar boxes being sold on eBay grab bag style. There are no markings on the boxes indicative of contents or attachments of shipping labels. The boxes look like they were made yesterday. (Yeah, I know it’s eBay and the boxes were most likely made yesterday!)

I kinda went into a fog in the 1980’’s and do not remember if any unsold GSA coins were ever sold in bulk.....which is where coins currently being sold on eBay would have had to have come from.

Do any of you other old-timers remember if GSA dollars were ever sold in bulk near the end of The Great Silver Sale?

Thanks!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15716 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2018  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great Collections sold some real unopened GSA a few months ago and they did very well. You might want to check their past sales.
Valued Member
United States
218 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2018  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gary to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Some were sold in bulk for $15 each with no limit on orders. I ordered 75. GSA had too many ordered and cut all orders to a limit of 5. I got 5. I got 1- 1882, 1- 1883, 1- 1884, and 2- 1885's. Many who ordered didn't get any. Mine were shipped in a box of 5.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14307 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2018  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I remember correctly, after not selling out in the first sale or two they did start allowing multiple coin purchases. I think up to either 5 or 15 coins and those probably would have been shipped in a box containing multpule individual boxes. And I do know the 1980 sale allowed the purchase of multiple coins.

It has been a long time since I looked at the 1881 CC I got in the 1972 sale but I thought it was a white box. Of course it was a single coin so the box had a label on it.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
208 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2018  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I temp'd with GSA to keypunch the bids.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keypunch

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Why collect coins? Memory is the second thing to go. The use of money is the last thing to go.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3776 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All....

Thanks for the info!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05