Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Quarter Collecting Advice  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1307 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like there's a lot of stuff you want to collect. I would say go out and buy all the simple Whitman albums for the pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters and just start filling up holes from coins you get in circulation. Then after a while you'll figure out which ones you're not going to find in circulation and you can start buying those from dealers.

This is the way I started and I think most people start.
Edited by jpsned
07/04/2018 2:34 pm
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krazy Kermit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks jpsned!

I actually jumped the gun on supplies and bought them first, maybe not the brightest idea. I have Mylar 2x2 flips; 2x2 flip pages from BCW and then Uni-Keep Binders to store those in. My biggest issues almost all my pages are empty!...haha
Pillar of the Community
United States
1307 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
463 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Check BadDog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For modern coins, you might want to take a look at mint sets and proof sets. Even if you just want to collect quarters, you may find that the incremental cost of getting a set with all the coins is worthwhile to you.

Most modern mint and proof sets are readily available at prices less than the original mint issue price as well.

If you go this route though, you have to keep in mind that if you want a so called "complete" set that there are some coins that weren't included in the mint and proof sets. For example, since 2012 the Mint has been issuing S mint BU quarters that are only available in rolls and bags. There are other NIFCs as well.

Most important thing is to have fun at whatever route you decide to take
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jst1dreamr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Krazy Kermit - Email me if would, I have some info that may help you on your quarter quest.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7336 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
clad proof and silver proof, are they the San Francisco Mint or are they made in Philadelphia & Denver as well?

For more current coins, all proofs are made at the San Francisco Mint. This wasn't always the case, though as you go further back. For State and ATB Quarters, the proofs are all S-mint.

A clad proof quarter has the same composition as normal circulating quarters of our day: a copper core between two layers of copper-nickel (called cladding). Silver proofs for these series are what's called "coin silver" which is 90% silver and 10% copper.
Bad puns make me [sic].

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Valued Member
United States
277 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  07:33 am  Show Profile   Check einstem's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add einstem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are interested in filling large numbers of coins, then I have used 'Daves Collectibles" on eBay many times and have been very happy.

They have "coin runs" and full 'series sets' that you can buy for large numbers of date ranges.

Here is there link:

http://stores.ebay.com/Daves-Collectible-Coins

They also have tons of proof sets as well.

When putting together a State Quarter set, I used them quite often.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Michael
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2997 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin shows...

Even at smaller shows, there will be a dealer or several with binders of 2x2s of "modern" coins. Dealers buy rolls of them and put them in 2x2s for people doing date sets.
-----Burton
43+ year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Owned by four cats and a wife of 33 years (joined 1983)
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krazy Kermit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all for the great advice!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8347 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with the Dave's Coins suggestion. Great for jump-starting a collection and reasonably priced.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7336 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've purchased several times from Dave's on eBay and my expectations are consistently met. His stock level is tremendous and combined shipping works wonders.

I also recommend JT Stanton for the same reasons:

https://www.ebay.com/str/CherrypickerCoins/
Bad puns make me [sic].

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
United States
752 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurrency Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why don't you get a folder and start collecting the state and ATB Quarters from circulation. It would be enjoyable and you go a little crazy thing to complete it. You can get rolls from the bank and search. I still cannot come across a WV-D.

KK
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05