Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ugliest Morgan Dollar? 1897 O - NGC - (eBay)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
2248 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  3:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add solotime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
While searching for coins, I found this on eBay.

Pillar of the Community
United States
7371 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not as bad as some Morgans I've seen.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30253 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Must agree - that coin doesn't bother me at all!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3699 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, now you know what an MS-60 looks like.
I'll stay with AU-58 coins.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Learn More...
United States
63480 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well, now you know what an MS-60 looks like.
I'll stay with AU-58 coins.
It is a case where eye appeal makes the lower grade a better choice.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3043 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks pretty to me!
My name is Devin, and I have been collecting now for around 3 1/2 years. I love all US coinage. I set up at coin shows and sell on eBay with my dad
Visit my website:
https://www.InGodWeTrustCoinsAndCurrency.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9373 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't call it the ugliest Morgan . More like a chatter box Morgan .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3043 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
More like a chatter box Morgan .

My name is Devin, and I have been collecting now for around 3 1/2 years. I love all US coinage. I set up at coin shows and sell on eBay with my dad
Visit my website:
https://www.InGodWeTrustCoinsAndCurrency.com/
Valued Member
United States
291 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 40Proof to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't mind it at all.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
421 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I must be missing something because to me it looks like it was cleaned with sand paper...
ANA Member
Mark
Official Snowbird!
Illinois in Summer, Florida in Winter
Pillar of the Community
United States
3939 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Check Adam_E's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
mtuma3: When it comes to Morgan dollars, that's kind of what you get with low MS ones(and other coins in general, but Morgans especially so). This is because the coins were large and heavy, so when they were bagged up to ship to banks, the contact they made with each other cause lots and lots of scratches(appropriately called "bag marks"). The marks aren't particularly deep, but on a mint state coin, they 're quite visible. It's likely that when this particular coin was bagged, it was somewhere near the bottom of the bag, so it had to deal with a lot of weight along with the contact. remember that these coins werent treated with care, and the bags probably weren't handled nicely.
Edited by Adam_E
07/05/2018 9:35 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
421 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Adam... I just didn't think it was anywhere near PL 60... I'm here to learn so I appreciate the knowledge.
ANA Member
Mark
Official Snowbird!
Illinois in Summer, Florida in Winter
Pillar of the Community
United States
3939 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Check Adam_E's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, grading is incredibly weird. A coin can look incredibly ugly with a bunch of (natural obviously) marks, but if it doesn't have wear, its an uncirculated coin. PL is a different designation entirely, and can actually be somewhat objectively observed. if the fields are reflective enough, it'll get a PL designation regardless of how many marks there are. Usually on a PL coin you can take a ruler up against the coin and legibly read the numbers up to a certain amount of inches(I highly doubt this is how they designate it for grading services, but it's a good general observation for PL potential). I'm willing to bet that this particular coin looks significantly better in hand, and the fields are much more "metallic" looking than the pictures show.
Edited by Adam_E
07/05/2018 10:47 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05