Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Morgans and Peace Dollar Scratches a Deal Breaker?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  3:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add frest to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm brand new to coin collecting, so I apologize in advance for the lack of basic knowledge. I inherited a sizable coin collection from my grandfather and have been sifting through everything over the past few days. One common factor among many of these coins are scratch marks on otherwise detailed coins. Here's a sampling of a few Morgans and a Peace dollar I picked out of the pile.

Top Left: 1890 CC. From what I can tell this is a somewhat rare coin, but there are two noticeable marks along the neck. The back has a small discolored area along the top.

Top Center: 1921 D. There's some discoloration throughout.

Top Right: 1883 S. Even though the quality of detail is quite high, this seems like it should be thrown out because of the purposeful marking all the way around the edges.

Bottom Left: 1900 O. Front has some minor scratching. Back has discoloration and dings along the edge.

Bottom Right: 1926 S. This one seems to be uncirculated with a brilliant sheen. There is a tiny scratch directly above the upper lip and some faint scuff marks. On the back, the eagle head is discolored.

Let me know if I need to post a bigger image of any particular coin. Overall, I'm wanting to know which, if any, of these types of defects would significantly decrease the value and which ones I should be more forgiving of. Would any of these be worth keeping around? Thanks in advance!
Edited by frest
07/06/2018 3:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1355 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Check Ploopy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

You've got some nice coins. Discoloration usually isn't anything bad, it does decrease eye appeal and sometimes price. Unless its very severe then it's fine. As well, small scratches aren't bad, but if its huge and very prominent it will be a details coin. The 1890CC and the 1883S are details coins, the others look alright to me.

If you want to remember your grandfather, you can keep all the coins. They're all worth something. None of these should be thrown out. Thanks for sharing and stick around
Collector of any American coinage.

Coins for sale: https://www.ebay.com/sch/pifagor/m....g=200&_from=
Learn More...
United States
60341 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For a first post you did fantastic.

It's usually best to show the obverse and reverse of one or two coins per thread. It's easier for us to see them and doesn't require us to have a good memory for a bunch of coins

And

Pillar of the Community
United States
5557 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a nice group of coins with character
Pillar of the Community
United States
3093 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First.....WELCOME!

Second - Do NOT clean any coins....with ANYTHING! Including just polishing them. Do not try to enhance the appearance - only ruins the numismatic value.

Last - ask ALL the questions you need. Great depth of knowledge and experience on this site.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28246 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, one or two coins at most per thread, showing both sides, with much larger images please!

to the CCF!
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add frest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies everyone! I appreciate all the helpful tips - now I feel like I have a good starting point to work off of as I look through the rest of the pile. I'll be sure to stick to one or two coins in the future as was suggested!
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmwilson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love the color & contrast of a nicely worn Morgan. The 1890 and 1888 have that look. It's too bad someone damaged the 1888.

Leave them as they are ...
Pillar of the Community
United States
4962 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1890-CC looks like the "tailbar" variety which is valued higher than the regular version. Please post full-size photos of this coin, at least.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05