Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Good Environment for Coin Storage

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  09:17 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Krazy Kermit to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good Morning,

I have people mentioning a good environment not what they are store in more matters. I am hearing low humidity and a stable temperature is what matters. How stable are we talking for instance I have my coins in my "den" and in the summer time it has a air conditioner in it which can make the room chilly, so would that be a poor place to store them from going chilly when the air is on to normal room temperature when the air is off?

Just worried something will happen to my coins.

Thanks,

Kermit
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8901 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't worry about your air conditioner unless you keep it at sub zero temps . Your coins need to be kept in an average temperature environment . Humidity and moisture are your coins enemy's . Try to keep all coins in moisture proof holders and you'll be fine .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
410 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Slow temp changes should be ok... You just don't want "dramatic" temp changes... IE: taking them from a cold room outside on a hot humid day... (for example: If you wear glasses, and you walk out of air conditioning outside into hot/humid, they will fog).
I keep mine in a closed closet on shelves so the temp stays pretty even with no problem...
ANA Member
Mark
Official Snowbird!
Illinois in Summer, Florida in Winter
Pillar of the Community
United States
822 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Humidity and moisture are your coins enemy's . Try to keep all coins in moisture proof holders and you'll be fine .

Moisture is the biggest concern. Depending on the climate where you live, it's always good to store either silica or a mini dehumidifier with your coins.
Searching for some US modern coins (cents through dollars) via my want list.
Learn More...
United States
23519 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's a reason why superannuated commercial aircraft are parked for storage in desert conditions, and it's the same reason guiding "appropriate" coin storage: minimizing metal corrosion. There are two main enemies of surface preservation, humidity and oxygen. Obviously, it's kind of difficult to minimize oxygen in the environment, so we seek to minimize humidity in order to forestall the reactions against metals which require both of those ingredients.

You'll see vacuum packing offered as a good step in long-term coin storage - I'm a fan myself - for the same reasons.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Find SOMETHING with a closed door to store your coins in (safes really aren't that expensive). Keep plenty of the large absorbent packs with the coins to draw out the air moisture. Unless you are taking your coins from extreme differences in temperature, the moisture is the one that you can monitor and reduce.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17017 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When take a metal and change the air around it from warm to cold, you see moisture accumulations on it. Possibly some of this could happen in a room where you go from one temperature to another. Usually a room or window air conditioner takes a lot of humidity out of the air though.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
61315 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Basically, stable temperatures are desired to prevent any humidity in the ambient air from forming condensate on you coins. Lower humidity allows for a wider the temperature range, but you still do not want temperatures to swing fast.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12837 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just keep my coins in my coin collection album in my drawer. The temperature is stable, and my coins have stayed the same, since the day I put them in a 2x2 coin flip.
Errers and Varietys
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nonna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is the best kind of holder? The little cardboard squares with the clear plastic cover, or I have some also in small thick plastic sleeves.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05