Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Medieval islamic coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
219 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  02:17 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add nautilator to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought this a few months ago from a dealer who said it was an Islamic coin c. 1000 years old. I tried to look for it and found ones in similar style, but not this specific one. Can anybody help pinpoint it? Dimensions are 28x26 mm, weight is 10.6 g.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14465 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  02:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It has been holed and repaired.

Not so much a detraction as with Western coins, as opposed to those of the Middle East.
Coins were often used for adornment. Thus, they were drilled and strung together, perhaps in a head dress across the forehead.

Nevertheless, it would have been better if it had not been holed.
Valued Member
United States
316 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  04:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Qarlughids, Sayf al-Din al-Hasan Qarlugh in Sind, 1239-1249, AR tanka citing the 'Abbasid caliph al-Mustansir, known dated AH 633. Album 1813.2; Goron & Goenka SS10. Rare.

Learn More...
United States
21622 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  07:48 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice silver coin.
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  02:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nautilator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, Kushanshah. Very helpful. I'm not seeing that exact citation anywhere but with a name like Qarlughid, it's not that hard to pick up from there. I'm seeing a number of very similar coins on acsearch, et al.

BTW: yes, I know it was holed. That's why I found it in the melt pile. It was low risk, and I like Islamic silver coins.
Valued Member
United States
316 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  05:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should be able to find similar examples here: https://www.zeno.ru/showgallery.php?cat=3279
Your second image names the ruler, Sayf / al-Dunya wa al-Din / Abu'l-Muzaffar al-Hasan / Qarlugh. The upper image has the Kalima and the name of the 'Abbasid caliph al-Mustansir Billah.
Al-Hasan Qarlugh reigned first at Ghazna in Afghanistan and later in Sind (Pakistan). Tankas modeled after those of the Sultans of Dehli were issued both places. Goron & Goenka assign this type to Sind based on style but admit the coins could have been struck elsewhere.
Edited by Kushanshah
07/11/2018 06:00 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05